Bloomington offers volunteer opportunities

Whether in search of service hours or goodwill volunteer opportunities, IU students have an array of activities to choose from. Bloomington has many annual events that run solely from volunteer work, and local organizations are in constant search of helping hands. Visit bloomington.in.gov for more volunteer-based organizations and nonprofits.

Bloomington PRIDE —
Aug. 27th

Saturday will mark the third annual Bloomington PRIDE Summerfest. The event will include live performances, music, food, drinks, educational workshops and interactive activities for all ages.

Last year’s festival had a total of 6,000 attendees with hours of celebration and discussion. Ten thousand people are expected to attend this year.

Volunteers are highly encouraged. They may assist with security, decorations, set up, raffle sales, beer and wine ticket collection, face painting, merchandise sales and clean up. Volunteers will receive free food and a Summerfest t-shirt.

Serve a Meal at the Wheeler Center for Men ­— available every day

The seven-day emergency shelter and a 90-day, case-managed program for men with longer term needs is looking for more volunteers during meal times. The center’s mission is to provide Christian-based programs and services for the homeless and those in need.

Volunteers prepare trays, hand out drinks, roll silverware, help with clean-up for either lunch or dinner and provide smiles for the guests. One-time and recurring volunteers are welcome. Volunteers must be a minimum of 18 years old or 8 years old with a parent or guardian.

Basic Meditation and Restorative Justice Training — registration deadline Sept. 7

The Community Justice and Mediation Center (CJAM) is offering a 40-hour training program on conflict resolution, mediation and restorative justice. Participants are expected to enhance their interpersonal skills in communication and listening, problem solving and negotiation, and will increase their understanding of restorative justice philosophy and methods, the sources of conflict and the processes leading to constructive conflict resolution.

The training provides the background and skills necessary to work as a community mediator and restorative justice practitioner and qualifies participants to volunteer in CJAM’s programs.

The training will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sept. 10, 11, 24, 25 and Oct. 1. Registration is available until Sept. 7. The maximum number of participants is 20. Tuition is $300; $275 if received two weeks prior to training. A limited number of scholarships are available for those interested. Participants must be 16 years old or older to attend.

Lake Monroe Shoreline Cleanup — registration deadline Sept. 8, Cleanup Sept. 11

The annual shoreline cleanup targets harder-to-reach areas along the shoreline, usually where trash accumulates from wave action and flooding. Boats provided by Lake Monroe Marina will bring volunteers in and trash out. Volunteers are invited to a free cookout after the cleanup, with a prize drawing sponsored by J.L. Waters. The cleanup is coordinated by Monroe Lake, Monroe County Stormwater Services and the Hoosier National Forest, with assistance from the Army Corps of Engineers. Volunteers must be 10 years old or older to participate.

Hoosiers Outrun Cancer — Sept. 17

Organized by the Bloomington Hospital Foundation, Hoosiers Outrun Cancer benefits the IU Health Olcott Center. The center provides patients and their families with information on cancer diagnosis, treatment, early detection and prevention. All services are free of charge. The annual race is the main contributing event that allows all of the services to be at no cost to the patients. Runners, walkers and volunteers are encouraged to participate in the event. People can participate in memory of a loved one or in honor of someone currently battling cancer.

The event is catered to be an opportunity to gather a team for the treatment cause. Minimum age to volunteer is 16 years old, or 12 years old with a parent or guardian.