weekend

Duffer brothers deliver charming sci-fi thriller

ENTER TV-STRANGERTHING 2 ND

Grade: A-

If you’re a fan of “The Goonies,” then you’ll love “Stranger Things.” It premiered on Netflix on July 15, and is a great homage to 1980's pop culture. At the same time, it creates an enticing world you can enjoy even if you haven’t seen “Stand by Me” or the works of Steven Spielberg.

“Stranger Things” takes place in the fictional small town of Hawkins, Indiana, in 1983. The story is set into motion by the mysterious disappearance of a young boy named Will Byers. His mom Joyce is worried, and his friends sneak out to search for him. They eventually meet a superpowered girl who calls herself Eleven who might have a connection to Will.

“Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers” sets up the series nicely. There’s a lot of exposition to get through, but series creators Matt and Ross Duffer ensure it's never tedious. It comes naturally as the characters respond to Will's vanishing, all the while getting you excited for the next episode. It is just chapter one, after all.

One of this episode’s strengths is its ability to swiftly change tones. Scenes where Will and his friends laugh and joke around are quickly followed by scary scenes of a mysterious monster. These shifts in mood are never messy, but feel organic to the complexity of the story.

The references that are littered throughout this story are fun to pick up on. Some of them are critical, like how the relationship between the young boys is like that of the main characters in “Stand by Me.” Others are smaller, such as an extreme close-up that is strikingly similar to one in “Jaws.”

One of my favorite TV shows is “The Goldbergs,” about a nerdy kid named Adam growing up in the 1980s. That show resurrects the '80s with a wink and a smile, and each episode takes place in “1980 something.” 

“Stranger Things,” on the other hand, resurrects 1983 with a straight face and an eye for danger. It might have been the decade of “ALF,” but a kid could risk his/her life without the comfort of a cell phone.

The performances in “Stranger Things” are strong. Winona Ryder is great at showing the fear Will's mom feels. The child actors playing Will's friends have great chemistry with each other. Millie Bobby Brown delivers a compelling performance with barely any dialogue as Eleven.

“Stranger Things” has all of the charm of a blockbuster from the '80s. Its first episode is exciting and patiently builds an interesting world. I look forward to finishing the next seven episodes as quickly as I can.

jpastern@indiana.edu | @jessepasternack