weekend

An album for "the persecuted and the overlooked"

Out of the depths of systematic oppression and existential soul searching, Dev Hynes has brought us the next great R&B album.

The British singer and composer, better known as Blood Orange, released his third full-length studio album “Freetown Sound” on June 28.

His sophomore album “Cupid Deluxe” was released in 2013, and solidified his place in the chillwave electro-soul scene.

“Freetown Sound” is a collaborative look at racial injustices through the eyes of someone who is trying to find their place in the world.

Much like “Cupid Deluxe,” this album finds inspiration in the city. Although it’s named after his father’s hometown in Sierra Leon, the album focuses a lot on Hynes’s placement in New York City after a fire destroyed his apartment.

Prior to its release, he dedicated the album to those who felt “not black enough, too black, too queer, not queer the right way.” He speaks to the persecuted and the overlooked with the use of spoken voice clips and poetry 
readings.

In the jazzy outro for the track “Thank You” a De La Soul sample rings heavy. “Let me tell you what it’s all about / A skin not considered equal / A meteor has more right than my people.”

An already notable politically active artist, Hynes came out with the single “Sandra’s Smile” in 2015 in response to Sandra Bland’s death in 2015.

On “Freetown Sound,” he addressed the 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin on the track “Augustine.” Over a simple kick drum, Hynes sings in a near whisper, “Cry and burst my deafness / While Trayvon falls asleep.”

Similar to recent releases like “To Pimp a Butterfly,” Blood Orange’s new album is shaded by the themes of institutionalized racism and hegemony. However, Hynes looks at them through the lens of understated R&B chillwave instead of experimental hip-hop.

He explores 1980’s influenced synth-pop beats on standout track “E.V.P.” that are reminiscent of the upbeat funk of Prince.

An epic ode to African-American culture, Hynes blends the best of gospel, soul and funk throughout the album.

This combination of sounds and all-star collaborations make “Freetown Sound” an easy listening, surprisingly innovative album. Hynes has crafted a release that not only showcases synergetic emotion, but also features some pretty smooth tunes.

Sierra Vandervort

svanderv@indiana.edu

@the_whimsicle