M. Ward comes to the Bluebird

Singer-songwriter Matt Ward grabs a nearby beer bottle. Rather than taking a drink, he uses the bottle as a slide for his guitar during a plucky guitar solo. The bottle bursts, and the crowd goes wild as beer drips down the neck of his guitar.

Last Monday, the Portland-based singer who goes by M. Ward brought his band to the Bluebird in Bloomington for his first performance in Indiana.

He has been touring to promote his eighth studio album, “More Rain,” which was released in March on Merge Records. What started out as a one-man doo-wop project soon turned into a mellow folk-pop record after taking more than four years to 
complete.

Ward was accompanied by singer Jenny Lewis and her new group project, NAF, and the Brooklyn-based group Big Thief, that is fresh off its own tour.

“First we were with Nada Surf, now we’re with M. Ward, and after this we’ll be with Kevin Morby,” said lead singer and songwriter for Big Thief, Adrianne Lenker. “It’s kind of been one big mashup. We’re just taking things day by day.”

Lenker and Big Thief got the crowd warmed up with its folk-tinged, garage rock tracks from its debut album “Masterpiece.” The crowd hooped and hollered as Lenker bent over her guitar for an extended, fuzzy guitar solo during the group’s performance of its song “Real Love.”

A native of Indianapolis, Lenker bantered and chatted about her hometown with the affable crowd in between songs.

“You kids are outta sight,” a man in the crowd yelled.

“Tubular,” Lenker replied.

Later in the evening, Ward emerged onstage to massive cheers. In a casual flannel and distressed jeans, he could easily be mistaken for an aloof college kid rather than a singer seasoned with more than 20 years of experience. His backing band contrarily dressed like a distinguished blues band — complete with fedoras, suit jackets and red, plaid loafers.

The band’s good spirit translated to more than just their wardrobe. They opened with the upbeat energy and flourishing keyboard solos of the song “Time Won’t Wait.”

Ward and the band played through a majority of their newer tracks before turning to older crowd favorites and even a few old school rock ’n’ roll covers during his encore.

“We’re inspired by all the people we play with,” Lenker said. “More than just specific records, we’re inspired just by traveling and hearing 
stories.”