sports baseball

IU players and recruits who could be drafted

Junior pitcher Jake Kelzer celebrates his strike out which ended the 9th and the game. Purdue scored 4 earlier in the inning to leave IU with only a 1 run lead.

After no current or potential Hoosiers were selected in the first two rounds of the Major League Baseball Draft on Thursday, there a handful of current IU players with a chance to be drafted either Friday or Saturday. Rounds 3-10 will take place Friday while rounds 11-40 will take place Saturday.

Below is a list of players who could be drafted. Some are seniors trying to continue their baseball career, some are underclassmen who could face a decision of signing a professional contract or returning to IU and some are high-schoolers who could face the decision of whether to enroll at IU at all.

Jake Kelzer - Kelzer is junior right-handed pitcher with experience as both a closer and a starter. He spent all of this year in the bullpen and finished with a 1.54 ERA in 41 innings. The Bloomington native was drafted last season in the 14th round by the Cubs but returned to IU, and was also drafted in the 22nd round of the 2014 MLB Draft.

Kyle Hart - IU's Friday night starter stands a good chance at being drafted for the first time either Friday or Saturday. The senior left-hander finished the season with a Big Ten leading 10 wins this season while posting a 3.21 ERA in 98.1 innings pitched.

Caleb Baragar - Another left-handed senior pitcher who figures to be drafted, Baragar finished the season with four wins. He also posted a 2.49 ERA in 86.2 innings pitched.

Evan Bell - IU's last weekend starter also has a chance at being drafted at some point in the MLB Draft. The right-handed senior posted a 3.36 ERA in his last season on his way to two wins this season.

Craig Dedelow - IU's junior center fielder projects to be drafted in the later rounds Saturday, thanks to his consistent offensive output in his two seasons as a starter. He led the Hoosiers in batting average, doubles and extra base hits this season.

Skylar Szynski - Potentially the highest pick IU Coach Chris Lemonis will have to worry about still hasn't played an inning for IU. This right-handed recruit from Penn High School in Mishawaka, Indiana, ranks as the 28th best player available at the start of the second day of the draft.

Jack Suwinski - Suwinski is a left-handed outfielder from Chicago who has the speed to project to potentially play center field. He has a potential to be drafted in the later rounds of the draft.

Cameron Beauchamp - Beauchamp is a left-handed pitcher who played at Peru High School and could be drafted in the later rounds of the draft as well.