Yearly fair celebrates culture of Seville

Alyson Malinger takes part in the traditional festival of feria in Seville, Spain. Every woman traditionally wears a floor length flamenco dress to show off the Seville culture in a vibrant way.

What are the first images that pop into a person’s head when they hear the word “Spain?” I tried to think of these images prior to arriving three months ago — stereotypes or different things I have read over the years — but not much came to mind. Except the dancing flamenco girl emoji that I had often referred to as a depiction of myself, dancing in a Spanish style somewhere.

I never actually thought Spanish women ever walked through the streets wearing these elaborate gowns. This shortly changed once I arrived in Spain and learned about the wonder known as Feria de Abril, or the April fair.

Monday night at midnight started the week-long celebration in Seville known as Feria de Abril. Dating back from 1847, the fair originally was considered a giant livestock fair for different merchants usually from the north of Spain. It has slowly transformed into a festival celebrating the Seville culture in all of its beautiful ways.

Once I had heard of the importance of the holiday, I immediately asked my host mother to help me find a dress for the occasion. A flamenco dress, one similar to the image in my head three months ago, was soon going to be in my possession.

Every woman wears a flamenco dress decorated with vibrant colors of all shades, large earrings and a large flower on the top of their heads. Every man wears their best suit, some in full top hats and tails riding horses through the fairgrounds. I felt I was on the set of an old Spanish western movie the moment I walked into the area.

Families were dancing Sevilliana and eating together with friends and loved ones to and from the elaborate tents, called casetas, that filled every street. The fairgrounds are built every year into a small town, with street signs and all. White and orange paper lanterns line each street illuminating the entire area at night.

Officially the fair opens at 1 p.m. everyday and closes around 7 a.m. the next morning. The dancing, eating and drinking never stops, not even for a moment, during these times.

After experiencing part of this week, I am absolutely amazed at the beauty of this event. Every person is dressed immaculately, horses and buggies are decorated with elaborate flowers and bells and live music is heard from every angle.

This event is considered the equivalent to a person’s senior prom, but it happens every year, making the festivities of the week the thing that most people look forward to year round.

I am so glad I made the decision to not travel this week and stay for the events. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that is special to Seville. What other time can I wear a floor-length flamenco dress covered in polka dots, with a large rose in my hair, and be considered normal walking down the street to catch 
my bus?

Wearing my dress, I feel more Spanish than ever. I even appear more Spanish, according to my host mother, her family and many people throughout the fairgrounds.

I have been adopted by many families of the friends I have made in Spain, invited into their family casetas and enjoyed tapas and music from the comfort of the space.

This event is probably my favorite memory I have made during my time abroad. It combines the immense beauty of this city I am so fortune to call my home and the loving nature of its people.

I cannot believe I have less than a month left to enjoy this magical place, and I am just waiting for the next opportunity to return, possibly wearing my flamenco dress again as well.