sports baseball

IU beats Cincinnati behind strong effort from the bullpen

The Hoosiers traveled to Cincinnati on Wednesday seeking to avenge its shutout loss against the Bearcats at home a week ago.

IU took the initiative on offense early and split labor between five pitchers to defeat Cincinnati 7-3 to improve to 14-13 this season. The Hoosiers were able to score runs in unorthodox ways at the plate, taking advantage of three Bearcat errors and eight walks.

The first three batters of the game reached base, leading to freshman catcher Ryan Fineman driving in sophomore outfielder Laren Eustace on a fielder’s choice for the first run of the game.

Freshman designated hitter Luke Miller roped a two-out double down the left field line scoring two runners to give IU a 3-1 advantage in the third inning.

Freshman pitcher Jonathan Stiever started his second career game and worked three innings allowing just one run from a RBI drag bunt to fulfill IU Coach Chris Lemonis’ expectations.

Sophomore relief pitcher BJ Sabol took over for Stiever in the fourth. Sabol struck out the first batter of the inning but then proceeded to load the bases and allowed the first Bearcat run of the inning after a wild pitch. Cincinnati scored one more run off a sacrifice fly, but Sabol settled down worked a scoreless fifth in the following frame.

IU added two more runs in the sixth for a four run lead.

Freshman pitcher Pauly Milto, junior pitcher Thomas Belcher and junior pitcher Jake Kelzer combined to only allow one hit and not surrender a run from the sixth inning on to secure the victory.