Community gardens look forward to planting, projects

Region filler image

As the planting season approaches, Bloomington Community Garden plots remain open for rental, Program Manager Robin Hobson said.

On Wednesday, Hobson said seven season extension plots remained in the Willie Streeter plots and 11 regular season plots were left in both the conventional and organic gardening areas of that community garden.

Regular season plots are usable from mid-April through October, while season extension plots remain open year-round.

Due to the long spell of cold weather, Hobson said she thought the opening date for regular season plots had been pushed back to late April 16.

A press release from the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation estimated an April 15 regular season plot opening date.

“It all depends of the type of wet weather we’re having from the 18th on,” she said.

Season extension plots, though, have been and will remain open from dawn until dusk, she said.

According to the Parks and Recreation press release, the last anticipated frost date for Indiana is May 15.

“There’s lots of gardening in Indiana that can be done prior to the frost date,” Hobson said. “Because there is a significant amount of prep needed after the tilling, I’m shooting for April 25 or sooner.”

Tilling for the regular season plots should happen during the weekend, she said, after which gardeners could plant frost-resistant vegetables or a cover crop.

Later in the summer, Willie Streeter gardeners can look forward to some new projects, Hobson said.

A grant from Lucky’s Market will go toward constructing a shelter, picnic area and information center with kid-friendly features in the Willie Streeter gardens.

“I believe we’re calling it the Lucky’s Little Sprout Pavilion,” Hobson said.

The kids’ activities will include a sandbox, educational materials and small garden plots and will hopefully be complete in June, she said.

A subsection of the Bloomington Environmental Commission has also expressed interest in putting plants that attract larger populations of butterflies — such as milkweed, which attracts monarch butterflies — around the shelter, Hobson said.

“We hope that it will encourage parents to bring their kids with them when they garden,” Hobson said. “They’ll know there’s a space for them there.”