CAPS, greeks discuss mental health issues on campus

Eric Samuels from IU Health Center talks about Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) hours and appointment services Monday at Hodge Hall. CAPS is located on the 4th floor of the IU Health Center Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The first two appointments are free for students with a 30-minute session each.

In a discussion about mental health Monday night, Counseling and Psychological Services staff emphasized the importance of normalizing the stress of mental illness and overcoming the stigma related to it.

“If you’re freaking out, please, please, please realize you’re not the only one,” CAPS doctoral intern Eric Samuels said. “Friends, people in your classes and people in your residence hall are going through the same thing.”

CAPS paired with Delta Sigma Phi and Sigma Kappa for the event.

Campus dialogue about mental health has flourished as organizations try to reach out to those who struggle with it, Samuel said.

Delta Sigma Phi and Sigma Kappa organized this event because the purpose of greek life is to better the lives of its members, said Jesse Scheinman, the IFC vice president of communication programs.

Mental health issues are enhanced with substance use, Samuels said. He said he believes substance usage among college students may come with the change in 
environment.

“They’re trying to test boundaries, try new things and experience independence,” Samuels said. “I think drugs and alcohol are a part of that.”

Students with mental health problems may use these substances as distractions from their problems, as opposed to seeking help, Samuels said.

This event was put on in light of Little 500 week, when students tend to be abusing substances at a higher rate, Scheinman said.

“It just comes with the territory because it is such a big college weekend,” Delta Sigma Phi Vice President Jayson Arend said.

Another topic at the event was the correlation between depression and anxiety. Samuels said the two, while similar, are even more different because of how they affect one’s emotions.

“Anxiety is more about stress, while depression is more about mood,” 
Samuels said.

To emphasize this point, Samuels put together a workshop for the attendees to participate in.

He asked various attendees what they do on a daily basis. Whether or not someone has a mental illness can be based on how close they follow their routine.

“If you see any divergences from that routine, that’s a sign there may be an issue,” Samuels said.

Seeking help for mental health issues may be a problem of gender roles, as well, Arend said. Men are less likely to ask for help because it may conflict with their concept of masculinity.

Arend said he hopes the brotherhood of fraternities can make them more approachable to their members struggling with mental 
illnesses.

“We hope the greek community can lead the way for mental health safety,” 
Arend said.

Suicide was discussed at the event as well. Samuels said threats of suicide should be taken seriously and those who threaten it should be referred to various organizations that can help, like CAPS.

Mental illness is becoming a more prevalent topic on college campuses, Arend said. He said discussion about these issues can lead to progress.

“I think it’s important for Bloomington, the University and the nation as a whole to talk about these issues,” Arend said. “The more we talk about it, the more normal it starts to become and the stigma starts to disappear.”