Summit raises awareness of sexual assault prevention

Sophomore Elizabeth Niño and senior Mariana Cervantes knew each other before, but they couldn’t help their nervous, uncomfortable smiles as they inched closer together.

“Every ten seconds, you have to step toward the person you’re talking to while you’re having a conversation,” said Vaishali Shenwai, freshman and Sigma Sigma Rho sister.

The activity was designed to illustrate the violation of boundaries, alluding to the psychological effects of sexual assault. The Sigma Sigma Rho sisters led the workshop as part of the second annual Sexual Assault Prevention Summit on 
Saturday.

Niño tucked her hair behind her ears, locking eyes with Cervantes and laughing nervously. She stepped forward again, leaving a few centimeters between her and Cervantes.

“I felt too close,” Niño said. “I don’t think I can get any closer to her. It showed how everyone has a limit with personal space.”

The summit, organized by Sigma Lambda Upsilon, included a series of workshops, a panel and activities to raise awareness about rape culture, legal procedures of cases and other topics relating to sexual 
violence.

Senior Monica Calderon, president of Sigma Lambda Upsilon, said the idea for the summit was proposed last year by their adviser as a means to secure funding. The sorority could put on a symposium, and if it was successful, they could be entered to win a grand prize.

“We ended up winning, and although policies prevented our organization from receiving the money, we all agreed that it was an important topic that needed to be addressed and held yearly regardless of incentives,” Calderon said.

Calderon said it was important to discuss sexual assault prevention because of its prevalence on the IU campus. She said her goal was to make attendees aware of the resources available for people to combat, prevent and cope with sexual assault.

The panel featured speakers from Middle Way House, the IU Police Department and other local organizations directly involved with stopping sexual violence at the University. The contributors discussed the importance of consent, along with the difference between avoiding risks and sexual assault prevention.

Leslie Fasone, assistant dean of students of women’s and gender affairs, explained the University’s definition of impairment, how it relates to consent and how it differs from the legal interpretation.

“Consent is a mutually understandable agreement,” Fasone said. “If someone can’t understand you because they’re drunk or impaired in any manner, it is important to realize they can’t give you 
consent.”

Fasone, along with Evelyn Smith, prevention programs coordinator at Middle Way House, discussed the different interpretations and expressions of consent. For example, consent is not always 
verbal.

Subtle body language and lack of enthusiasm can be significant indicators of an individual’s refusal of a sexual advancement, 
Smith said.

Men and women are also likely to interpret certain cues differently, further necessitating the promotion of open, understanding 
relationships.

Calderon said the increased discussion and engagement at the symposium was only the beginning for Sigma Lambda Upsilon and its other 
contributors.

“This was our second annual Sexual Assault Prevention Summit, and we only hope to continue to improve year by year,” Calderon said.