IU Athletics announces plans for facility upgrades

Sports filler image

IU Athletics announced a capital campaign Sunday that will include new and renovated facilities throughout the department.

The fundraising goal of $170 million is part of the For All Bicentennial Campaign in honor of the anniversary of IU in 2020. The University-wide campaign has a goal of $2.5 billion, the largest in IU history.

IU Athletic Director Fred Glass said IU has already raised $124 million of the athletic department’s goal.

In addition to the renovations already in progress at Assembly Hall and the Mark Cuban Center for Sports Media and Technology, changes will include enclosing the south end zone of Memorial Stadium, a new indoor arena for volleyball and wrestling, and renovations to the IU golf course and Armstrong Stadium.

“Also unprecedented in its ambition and scope, the Bicentennial Campaign for Indiana Athletics will help establish this as a new Golden Age of Indiana Athletics,” Glass said.

The estimated $50 million south end zone Excellence Academy at Memorial Stadium will include the Institute for Sports Medicine and Technology, Institute for Leadership and Life Skills, premium seating, a terrace, new video boards at both end zones and a new entranceway.

Glass said it should be ready for the 2018 football season.

The $40 million Assembly Hall renovations donated by Cindy Simon Skjodt have been underway since April 2015, but will include a new South Lobby and atrium in addition to a new video board and up-to-date restrooms and concession stands. It is expected to be completed by the 2016-2017 basketball season.

The Mark Cuban Center will be located in Assembly Hall and will provide access to innovative technologies for students and the athletic department to utilize.

It is a product of a $5 million donation from famed IU alumnus and businessman Mark Cuban.

A new indoor arena will be home for IU volleyball and wrestling. It will be a 3,000-seat, indoor, multi-purpose venue and is expected to cost $15 million and be ready before the 2019-2020 school year.

IU will also be renovating the golf course if it can establish $11 million in donations. Its completion date comes down to when the money is raised. The renovations will include an updated 
clubhouse.

The other proposed renovation dependent upon a lead gift would be at Armstrong Stadium, where both soccer teams play. The estimated cost is $6 million.

The project goal of $170 million is comprised of an $85 million scholarship goal and a Capital Projects goal of $85 million.

The project includes several former IU athletes as co-chairs of the Campaign Steering Committee, including Quinn Buckner and Wayne Radford. There is also a list of honorary co-chairs such as Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, Trent Green, Antwaan Randle El, Derek Drouin and Ashley Benson.

“The bold goals of the Bicentennial Campaign, which are the most ambitious in Indiana University’s history and among the largest ever by a public university, will set Indiana University on the course for greatness in its third century,” IU President Michael A. McRobbie said.