Students take part in Black Knowledge Bowl

The Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center held the Black Knowledge Bowl to test students on black achievements in history, geography, science, philosophy and politics.

With questions ranging from who the first black astronaut was to what awards famous black writers have won, the jeopardy-style bowl took place Wednesday in the Grand Hall of the center.

Organizer Chantel White, student assistant at the Neal-Marshall Center, organized and moderated the event.

White said she believed it’s important for students both in the audience and participating to know about the black history in their community and around the world.

“It’s important for students to know about the people in the past who have set the foundation for right now,” White said.

Participants were given a study guide before the bowl to familiarize themselves with questions in all 
categories.

These categories included black poets, black military heroes, black playwrights, blacks in arts and blacks in sports.

As a question was read, a team could buzz in at any time to answer. Once a team buzzed in, one person on the team had 10 seconds to answer in a question-form.

As one team dropped out a few hours before the bowl, only two teams competed, Addicted to Knowledge and Black Pride.

Although the teams were tied after the first round, Addicted to Knowledge ended the second round on top, taking them into the final round.

After wagering points, each team had 30 seconds to solve a riddle for the final question.

Addicted to Knowledge came out on top, winning a prize that consisted of IU spirit gear, including blankets, water bottles and hats.

Sophomores Matt Fields, Souleymane Diallo, Dedric Dennist and Morris Dolley made up the team, which competed in last year’s bowl but did not win.

“Last year we were snagged,” Fields said. “We thought it was a great opportunity to come back and claim what’s ours.”

The team of Black Pride consisted of seniors Asia Adams-Thomas, Marlon Williams, Darnell Bandy and Jawann Johnson.

For Adams-Thomas, team captain, the bowl is an IU tradition their team wanted to take part once before they graduated.

For Williams, competing in the event meant spreading awareness of black 
history.

“Many students at IU don’t necessarily know a lot about black history,” Williams said. “It’s important for us to compete and spread awareness of black history.”

The judges’ panel consisted of Kwan Wallace, RPS assistant resident manager, Tristan Ivory, post-doctoral student, Inger Nemcik, Neal-Marshall Center operational specialist and DeLoice Holliday, head of the Neal-Marshall Center library.

Although the bowl takes place during Black History Month, Ivory said it’s important to have a greater understanding of the historical accomplishments of black culture all the time.

“It’s good to be knowledgeable of all different sorts of people regardless of the month,” Ivory said. “It’s always a good time to learn more about diversity in the U.S.”

Although the event was a competition, White said the facts and history discussed is important to know all the time.

“It’s good to appreciate where we come from,” White said.