sports women's soccer

IU women's soccer announces 2016 recruiting class

IU vs DePaul

In 2015, IU scored just 11 goals in 19 matches. The Hoosiers were shutout in 10 of their 19 games, as rising senior Jessie Bujouves led IU in scoring with just four goals.

After the Hoosiers lost to Purdue for the first time since 2011, IU Coach Amy Berbary said she would make it a point of emphasis to find versatile players who can consistently contribute offensively.

On Wednesday during National Signing Day, Berbary officially announced the addition of 11 players to her program. Nine of those players are at least midfielders, while the Hoosiers brought in three players who are also listed as forwards.

“That was a focus for us in this class,” Berbary said. “To find creative, dynamic attacking personalities. More than half of the class can do that. I think there’s definite potential for some of these kids to come in here and put some points up for us.”

In addition to the high amount of offensive-minded players, Berbary’s program also added a goalkeeper back in November -- 5-foot-9 Ohio native Sarah L’Hommedieu will join the IU roster following the graduation of senior Sarah Stone.

The Hoosiers also added a pair of signees that are listed as defenders; 5-foot-7 California native Julia Gilliam and Meghan Scott, a Canadian, will begin their collegiate careers in Bloomington.

In total, Berbary added three international players in her 2016 class. Along with Scott, IU signed Australian midfielder Julia De Angelis and fellow Canadian Chandra Davidson. Scott and Davidson are both from Ontario and have played together.

“We didn’t set out looking for international players,” Berbary said. “But as we identified through the recruiting process, these three have a little bit of a different flair. Megan and Chandra come from the same team. Both are very hardworking, mentally strong players. Megan is more of a central defender while Chandra is more of an attacking midfielder.”

De Angelis, from Canberra, Australia, has the most international experience in the 2016 class. The 5-foot-3 midfielder is a member of Australia’s U20 National Team and has played in the Asian Cup qualifiers with the U17 Australian team.

“It’s a dynamic class with a number of different positions,” Berbary said. “I think a lot of the players can play a lot of different positions on the field. They’re from all different areas of the country, all different styles of play. Julia’s international experience alone of playing in different countries at the highest level will only help push the kids that are currently on the team.”

The Hoosiers also brought in two players from within the borders of Indiana. 5-foot-4 attacker Macy Miller is from Carmel High School and a 2015 High School All-American. Miller was named the 2015 Indiana Player of the Year after scoring 12 goals and 15 assists last season for Carmel.

Late afternoon Wednesday, IU added an in-state product with the signing of Fishers’ Kyndal McKinney, who played for Shattuck St. Mary’s in Minnesota. McKinney scored 32 goals and 29 assists in three seasons of high school soccer.

"Of course when we start recruiting, we want to start by getting the best players in Indiana,” Berbary said. “I think we’ve done a good job of that by bringing in Macy. Kendall was a late add but she can play wide for us. It’ll be interesting to see how she fits in with the class when she gets here.”

While the Hoosiers must wait until August to begin a new season, IU will kick-off its spring season on February 27th with a 7 vs. 7 tournament. Berbary has already begun spring practices in preparation for the 2016 year.

“Going to extra times seven times, you can’t argue the fact that we’ve got some fight in us,” Berbary said. “We’re very close and I think the kids have done a good job of refocusing this January and starting fresh. I’ve seen some great things so far in the weight room and in our few practices. I think in their minds, we’re starting preseason in January rather than August.”