sports baseball

IU routs Middle Tennessee State in season opener

In the Hoosiers' season opener, two straight IU batters were hit by a pitch to begin the game which quickly gave way to an early 4-0 Hoosier lead.

Junior outfielder Craig Dedelow’s two RBI single followed by a towering two-run home run from sophomore outfielder Logan Sowers helped spark the Hoosier offense for 14 unanswered runs, defeating Middle Tennessee State 14-4 on Friday. 

Senior pitcher Kyle Hart let the first three batters he faced reach base via a hit by pitch, walk and infield single to begin the game.

Hart then rallied to strike out the side in the first leaving the bases loaded and was perfect in his final four frames setting down 15 straight Blue Raiders. 

Dedelow added a solo home run in the top of the second pushing the Hoosier lead to 5-0. His homer ultimately chased the Middle Tennessee starting pitcher senior Nate Hoffman after three innings of work, allowing seven earned runs. 

Every starter for IU reached base at least once during the game and all but one recorded a hit.

Junior third baseman Brian Wilhite racked up three RBIs from the nine-spot in the lineup on the day, coming off two fielder’s choice plays and a double. 

Junior first baseman Austin Cangelosi charged the ball on a diving play in the field and knocked in a run on a single to left after going hitless in his first three at bats. 

Freshman outfielder Scotty Bradley pinched hit for sophomore Laren Eustace in the seventh inning finding the gap in right center doubling in two Hoosiers in his first college plate appearance. 

IU turned the ball over to junior pitchers Luke Stephenson, freshman Chandler Sedat and junior Kent Williams in the final four innings, squandering four runs altogether. Hoosier pitchers combined for a total of 13 strikeouts on the day as they improved to 1-0 on the season.  

Junior college transfer Alex Krupa did not play in the season opener.

Zain Pyarali