opinion editorial

EDITORIAL: Trump's hypocritical response to the Pope

After Pope Francis claimed Donald Trump was not a Christian for wanting to erect a wall between the United States and Mexico, Trump fired back by saying “No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man’s religion or faith.”

This might seem pious of Trump. Even Jesus said, “Judge not, that you be not judged ... Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?”

But his pious image is tainted because just six days earlier Trump tweeted, “How can Ted Cruz be an Evangelical Christian when he lies so much and is so dishonest?”

The Editorial Board believes the word “hypocrisy” no longer describes 
Donald Trump.

That word has become so prevalent and overused in our society, the well-deserved sting of calling someone a hypocrite has lessened.

Since we lack any other word, we’re stuck with this label for Trump — an insult we’re sure he’s been called many times before and would easily brush off — but let us add his hypocrisy is of the worst and highest degree.

If hypocrisy is measurable, Trump’s comments are off the charts. He claims to follow the word of Jesus but does exactly what Jesus said not to do.

It is the belief of the Editorial Board that a person who openly and unrepentantly disobeys one of the clearest teachings of Jesus Christ is not Christian.

Though we understand Trump is not a Catholic, we would like to add that his disregard and lack of respect for the person who is arguably the greatest living authority on Catholicism on the planet was appalling.

We don’t suggest every Christian, Catholic or otherwise, has to agree with the Pope simply because he’s the Pope, but we do believe the attacks in Trump’s response were entirely inappropriate, if not down right hypocritical.

Trump began with the statement, “If and when the Vatican is attacked by ISIS,” then went on to claim the Pope only knows one side of the world’s sociopolitical issues and called him a pawn after suggesting he had no authority or right to question a person’s practices of Christianity.

We were disappointed in Trump’s lack of respectful disagreement with the man who holds the highest office in one of the world’s major denomination of 
Christianity.

However, we can’t say we were surprised; Trump seems to have the same level of regard for the highest office in this land, the Presidency.

The Editorial Board condemns Trump’s hypocrisy on this issue and urges the American people to reconsider nominating, let alone electing, a man who contradicts and embarrasses himself in this fashion.

We especially urge the Christian electorate to reread the Gospels and determine what Christ-like characteristics Donald Trump possesses, as we’re certain there are few.