Can I straighten out my penis?

I’m currently a college student, age 23. I have a downward curving penis which seems to make my partner not that interested in having sex with me.

I’m afraid of losing her.

Is there something I can do to get it straight or will my age make it difficult to straighten out? Thanks.

It’s common for the penis to curve or to point in ways other then straight.

Through their interviews with thousands of men in the 1930s, 40s and 50s, Alfred Kinsey and his team noted that many men reported having an erect penis that curved or that pointed up or down or left or right.

A curve in and of itself is not necessarily a problem.

If the curve is significant such that it makes it difficult to insert your penis into your partner’s vagina or anus then you might want to meet with a urologist who can determine if you have a condition called Peyronie’s disease, which can often be treated successfully.

However, given how young you are, I would be surprised if you have a medical condition causing the curvature, unless perhaps you had some significant injury or trauma to your penis, like if your genitals were ever kicked or if you were playing sports and a ball slammed into your genitals.

Sometimes those kinds of injuries can contribute to a later curvature.

However, it’s also possible that you have a totally normal and common small curve, and that you and your partner just need more experience and practice 
having sex.

If you’re having difficulty getting your penis in your partner’s body, even though you both want to have sex and are feeling sexually aroused, you might trying using lubricant.

It could be that she has vaginal dryness due to using low dose birth control pills or taking other medications that are linked to lower lubrication, or because she’s nervous.

Spending more time in foreplay doing things that excite her can also help to enhance her natural vaginal lubrication.

If you’re not having any difficulty with penetration, and she simply doesn’t like the look of your penis, then she might not be the right partner for you.

In my professional experience, I’ve often found that people are pretty accepting of the bodies of people who they really like a lot and are “into.”

If she’s not accepting of your body’s perfectly normal curve she may not be super into you, or else she may have unrealistic expectations about what men’s bodies look and feel like.

Once she gets more sexual experience, she may realize that there are very few penises that are perfectly straight (nor do they need 
to be).

Some men and their partners greatly enjoy a little curve and even use it to their advantage for g spot stimulation, so try to look at the positives and not just dwell on her negative 
perception.

Kinsey Confidential is a collaboration of The Kinsey Institute and the IU School of Public Health.

Dr. Debby Herbenick is an associate professor at Indiana University and author of six books about sex including “The Coregasm Workout” and “Sex Made Easy”.

Find our blog and archived Q&A at KinseyConfidential.org. Follow Dr. Herbenick on Twitter @DebbyHerbenick and Kinsey Confidential at 
@KinseyCon.