sports women's soccer

Women's soccer adds assistant coach

IU Women’s Soccer Coach Amy Berbary made an addition to her coaching staff Tuesday afternoon with an announcement that she will hire Mike Regan as an assistant coach, according to an IU Athletics release.

Regan joins the Hoosiers after four seasons as an assistant coach at Drake University in Iowa.

“Mike is a tremendous addition to our coaching staff,” Berbary said in a statement. “He will be a great example for our student-athletes in this program with his outstanding character, knowledge of the game and extremely high standards on the field. He has a strong history of success and we are looking forward to him having an immediate impact on our team.”

Regan’s concentration will be on the team’s overall 
technical development, set pieces and offensive execution. Benji Walton held an assistant coach position last season — his name does not appear on IU’s 2016 roster.

The Hoosiers struggled to score this past season, tallying just 11 goals in 19 matches, including 10 matches in which IU was shut out. At Drake, Regan was the coach of 22 All-Conference players, including a Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year.

Regan and the Drake coaching staff were named the 2015 MVC Coaching Staff of the Year as the Bulldogs claimed their first regular season conference 
championship since 2006.

Regan was the head coach of the North Iowa Area Community College Men’s Soccer team, where the program held a 74-17-6 record in his five seasons. Prior to coaching, Regan had an extensive 
playing career in England, where he played for a number of professional clubs as a youth player.

Regan was the team captain of the Ottawa Fury, a semi-professional team in Canada.

“The challenge of coaching in the Big Ten is something I am very much looking forward to, and I am delighted to be joining such a forward thinking program and staff,” Regan said in the release. “The environment at IU clearly allows for student-athletes to reach their full potential, and I look forward to building relationships within the department.”

Last season, IU finished 3-10-6 and tied for last place in the Big Ten with Iowa and Maryland.

The Hoosiers did not win a match in Big Ten play.