Singing, speakers highlight Buskirk-Chumley MLK celebration

Mayor John Hamilton gives a greeting speech to audiences to celebrate the 2016 Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The mayor spoke how the American society has been through and how Americans are still facing the challenge against racism and violence. The mayor also presented Martin Luther King, Jr. Legacy Award.

Projected on the screen, lyrics to “Lift Every Voice and Sing” led the full Buskirk-Chumley audience in song as every audience member stood up together.

Displays of solidarity like this one, from the beginning of the Martin Luther King Jr. birthday celebrations Monday, were what Brittany Packnett said was necessary for social change in her keynote speech.

“It’s going to take all of us to win,” Packnett said. “Today reminds us of just how much we need every single person and every single sign, every soul willing to put in the time and effort to do this.”

Packnett, executive director of Teach for America and a member of the Ferguson commission and of President Obama’s Task Force for 21st Century Policing, said she believes racial justice is an American cause.

“No matter how we try to ignore it or pretend like it’s not there, inequity is still very much our reality,” Packnett said. “It’s on all of us — not just the people who suffer from oppression, but the people who enjoy power and privilege — to do something about it every single day, not just on a holiday when we’re all called to serve.”

Packnett said she works in the Black Lives Matter movement in her personal time. She was inspired to join the protests by young people who knew that something was wrong and were willing to do 
something about it.

“Michael Brown went to a school where my program placed teachers,” Packnett said. “I often say that these are all of our children, and I had to stand up and prove that I actually believe that.”

King believed that service was the soul’s highest purpose, that service is the great equalizer and that everyone can be great, because everyone can serve. Every speaker on Monday mentioned giving back to better the community in some way.

The call to serve influenced Bloomington on Monday, when over 4,000 volunteers participated in the “A Day On! Not a Day Off” day of community 
service.

This day of service, as well as 40 days of peace started by a non-violence initiative, were both honored at the celebrations.

Malik Laffoon, son of 2015 Martin Luther King Legacy Award winner the Rev. Dennis Laffoon, led the audience in taking the pledge.

“On days like today, it’s important for us to remember that we all have a role to play, whether it’s on big stages or in our everyday interactions,” Packnett said. “There is something for all of us to do to create equity in the world.”

IU’s African American Choral Ensemble, led by Dr. Raymond Wise, encouraged the audience to do its part as well through the song “I’ll Stand.”

The song was a conversation between high and low voices asking who would stand to do their part, and after the last note, every person in the theater stood.

“No matter how dim you think your light is, it can still make a difference,” Wise said.

King’s call to create a beloved community, grounded in inclusion, equality and compassion, depends on every community member’s willingness to take a stand, IU Provost Lauren Robel said in a short 
address.

Packnett said people can’t sanitize King’s message and go back to the status quo today after loving each other Monday, because he would not have given his life for that.

“It’s never MLK Monday that causes me concern, it’s Tuesday,” Packnett said. “Who will we choose to be tomorrow?”