Bill Raftery said he believes in the Hoosiers this season

IUBB-EasternIllinois

Bill Raftery got his first live look at the Hoosiers this season during their 85-60 win against Ohio State on Sunday.

On the CBS broadcast, Raftery, a long-time college basketball analyst, mentioned how impressed he was by the play of freshman center Thomas 
Bryant.

He asked his play-by-play partner, Syracuse graduate Carter Blackburn, how Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim let Bryant commit to IU instead of Syracuse.

Before the game, Raftery also praised Bryant’s play this season.

“I think Bryant’s gonna be a big-time player,” Raftery said. “Maybe not this year, but he’s still going to be a factor this year.”

Raftery also talked about how he liked the play of the Hoosiers as a whole before Sunday’s game, noting the potential of the Hoosiers’ younger players.

He said he thinks the freshman forward duo of OG Anunoby and Juwan Morgan will begin to emerge as major players in the coming weeks, especially with sophomore guard James Blackmon Jr.’s season-ending injury.

On Blackmon Jr.’s injury, Raftery also talked about what it could mean for the rest of the Hoosiers.

“The obvious loss, not that it makes it more difficult, but it changes the dynamics of what others have to do and who guards others,” Raftery said.

“You’ve got to find it either through team play, or individuals raising their level.”

One of these players who could raise their level is senior guard Yogi 
Ferrell.

Without his starting backcourt mate, Blackmon Jr., Ferrell’s overall load has increased.

Raftery said he believes Ferrell has no problem shouldering the load for both scoring and distributing the ball to incorporate his teammates in the 
offense.

“When I say that he’s not afraid to make a big play, it’s also for others,” Raftery said.

“But the big shot, if it’s there, I think he leads by example.”

Raftrey also said he believes Ferrell is simply a winner. That’s why he wants to take the tough shot at the crucial time, because he has no problem with that pressure being placed on himself.

Ferrell and the rest of the Hoosiers will need to raise their game in the absence of Blackmon Jr., 
Raftery said.

But the possibility of IU becoming one of the top teams in the country, or making a run in the tournament is entirely possible, Raftery said, even with its early-season struggles.

“Even if you struggle and stumble, there’s an opportunity,” Raftery said.

“It’s just one of those years. There’s not a Kentucky of a couple years ago. There’s a valid opportunity, I think, for a team like Indiana.”