sports cross-country

IU cross country competes in Hoosier Invitational

sp-iuxc

For 14 IU cross-country runners, the season ended after Friday’s Hoosier Invitational. The race was for all the Hoosier runners not competing in the NCAA Regional meet Nov. 13.

The meet featured runners from IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, Indiana State and alumni running for Team Indiana Elite. Due to the small number of runners, there were no team results for the meet. IU Coach Helmer said he wished there were one or two more schools at the meet so there would have been a more competitive 
environment.

“We needed a culmination to the cross-country season for these runners, and this was it,” Helmer said.

In the women’s 5K, the Hoosiers had great success as 
redshirt freshman Brianna Calder finished first overall with a time of 18:33.7. The Hoosiers had the next three fastest times as freshman Kelsey Harris finished second in 18:48.5, junior Olivia Hippensteel finished third in 18:53.9, and redshirt junior 
Taylor Wiley finished fourth in 19:14.9.

“Those girls stuck their noses in and got in a really nice rhythm,” Helmer said. “They raced well all the way to the finish line.”

For the Hoosier men, redshirt senior Joshua Roche finished third with a time of 25:27.0 in the 
8K race.

Other top finishers for IU included redshirt sophomore Eric Claxton, who finished sixth in 25:49.3, senior Connor Martin finished seventh in 25:50.5, redshirt sophomore Jordan Huntoon finished eighth in 26:26.8, and redshirt freshman Joe Murphy finished ninth in 26:32.7.

Helmer said he was impressed with the results from the men.

Class of 2012 IU alumnus Ben Hubers won the men’s race with a time of 24:32.7.

The other two alumni who ran were 2014 grad Robbie Nierman, who 
finished fourth with a time of 25:33.0, and 2012 grad Danny Stockberger, who finished fifth with a time of 25:43.70.

All three alumni are still training 
post-collegiately, Helmer said.

“Having some of our alumni come out and race stirred the race up and made it more competitive for our top guys,” Helmer said. “It is fun to have them here, and they love the program. Our athletes know they were All-Americans and to have guys come back and run with them is a cool thing.”

Helmer said he was 
extremely impressed with his team’s effort in the 
Hoosier Invitational.

“They take pride in who they are and their 
preparation,” Helmer said.

Some runners could have had better days, but Helmer said it was not because a lack of effort as they had put in the necessary work, but it didn’t come completely through in the race.

“It is hard for us to like at times and compare because this is a hard course,” Helmer said. “But all in all, I like the mentality, attitude, emotion and effort we got up and down the roster.”