Woodworker to open cooperative

ciBWW

Six years ago, James Bradley hated power tools.

Now a drill press, table saw and matching mustard-yellow planer and joiner surround him in his shop. He'll open Bloomington WoodWorks, a woodworking cooperative, Nov. 1. The 950-square-foot space will offer woodworking classes, professional tools and open shop hours.

He started woodworking about five years ago when he was forced to quit his job to fix damages to his to his house after workers abandoned the project. He was stuck and had to teach himself to build. It was a big change from his previous job, where he worked on a loading dock for Snorkel-Mart.

As he learned to build, Bradley realized he liked it. He said he believes in working to make real furniture that will last. He even had the words “Work Hard” tattooed across his knuckles.

“I actually enjoyed it as I got over my fear (of power tools),” he said. “I really geek-out on woodworking.”

He never went back to Snorkel-Mart.

Instead, Bradley began building things for people he knew and eventually started working as a professional furniture maker for Indiana designer Nathan Hunter.

Now he wants to teach others how to woodwork. He said he feels teaching people empowers them.

“A couple years ago, I coached roller derby and just kind of realized ... it was the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done,” he said. “I kind of realized I want teaching to be a part of my life in some form.”

Bradley has a few different plans for WoodWorks. He’ll offer classes and open shop hours and also hopes to use the shop as a meeting place for a woodworking interest group.

Bloomington WoodWorks will have two different levels of membership. A $40 monthly membership geared toward more experienced woodworkers will include access to open shop hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and a discount on wood and classes. A $10 monthly membership will include the discounts on wood and classes.

Bradley said his classes will mainly be for beginners. They’ll make simple things but use all of the tools in the shop. During a trial class, Bradley taught people to make small cutting boards. His wife took part in the class, and he said to teach her something new made him remember why he loves woodworking.

“For me, this is all kind of old hat,” he said. “To see her learn every process and be really excited about it, it makes me look at woodworking differently. And it kind of brings the newness back for me.”

The cooperative has been receiving a lot of interest from people of varying backgrounds, Bradley said. He said he hopes to have a mixture of people in the shop — men and women, young and old — and he wants to connect other area woodworkers with each other.

“So far the response to this has been really good,” he said. “I’m hoping it will be a very eclectic place.”