Senator uses legislation to educate students

Whenever Sen. Jim Merritt, R-Indianapolis, tweets about the Indiana Lifeline Law, he always adds the hashtag 
#MakeGoodDecisions.

Merritt, who helped pass and then expand the law, spends time every fall traveling to different universities around the state to speak about the Lifeline Law.

This phrase is what he hopes students learn when they hear him speak, he said.

Merritt will speak at the IU Phi Mu sorority house Thursday to explain the law and how it can affect 
students.

“I think students are sometimes afraid to call 911 in emergencies involving alcohol,” said Natalie Maier, vice president of chapter development for Phi Mu and an organizer for Merritt’s visit. “But ultimately, the state doesn’t want us to feel like we have to choose between losing a life and getting in legal trouble.”

The Lifeline Law was first passed in 2012 and granted legal immunity to those who call 911 in an alcohol-related medical emergency if they are underage. The law was first proposed by six student body presidents from colleges throughout Indiana, including IU, Purdue University, DePauw University and the University of Southern Indiana.

The law received a “yes” vote from every member of the Indiana House and Senate, Merritt said.

“We know students aren’t perfect,” Merritt said. “And while we aren’t permitting mistakes that happen, we are acknowledging that it happens, and we want to ask students to make good decisions when it does.”

In 2014, Merritt helped to expand the law to grant legal immunity to the person who makes the 911 call, more clearly establishing mitigating circumstances for medical emergencies regarding other illegal substances and allowing first responders to administer overdose intervention drugs.

“This law really is an assist to students in emergency situations,” Merritt said.

Many of Merritt’s talks at college campuses take place in front of sorority and fraternity audiences. His most recent visit was Monday at Ball State University’s Theta Chi chapter. Merritt estimates in the last three or four years he has spoken to more than 46,000 people in this setting.

“When you hear someone saying these things, it helps you put into perspective that saving a life is always more important than the legal implications you’re afraid of,” Maier said. “And it’s important to note that the government itself wants to help reduce that fear.”

The bottom line is the law is meant to help keep people safe, Merritt said. He has helped write numerous other pieces of legislation he describes as being in the same family, including bills on drug dealing and abuse, violent crime, overdose intervention and sexual 
assault.

“I plan on being down to as many sororities and fraternities as possible, and I will be doing this for the rest of my career,” Merritt said. “There will always be 17- and 18-year-old students who are new to college life, who are away from their parents for the first time, who need to know what to do if something goes wrong.”