sports women's soccer

Hoosier tie Hawkeyes to remain winless in Big Ten

The IU women’s soccer team posted its sixth shutout of the season against Big Ten opponent Iowa on Saturday during its 0-0 double-overtime draw, but the team wanted more.

“I guess it’s a little bittersweet in a way,” IU senior defender Emily Basten said about shutting out the Hawkeyes. “But we walked away with a point, and that’s going to help us moving forward.”

After two Big Ten road losses against Wisconsin and No. 18 Minnesota, respectively, IU looked to rebound against Iowa at Bill Armstrong Stadium, in its best attacking game. It didn’t show up on the final score line, though.

Both IU (3-5-5) and Iowa (6-5-1) were in search of their first Big Ten win of the season.

Iowa can attribute the tie to senior goalkeeper Hannah Clark, posting her sixth consecutive shutout. IU senior goalkeeper Sarah Stone recorded nine saves to preserve the tie.

In the first half, the Hoosiers posted four shots, including one in the 31st minute from IU freshman forward Hanna Johnson that sailed over the crossbar. The Hoosiers mounted an attack, but the combination of injuries to key starters and the inability to finish left too many plays on the field.

The Hoosiers can attribute some of their offensive struggles to injuries. Sophomore forward Nickie Zuckerman and freshman forward Abby Allen, who showed promise earlier in the season, are both out for the year.

“At the end of the day we still have to execute,” IU Coach Amy Berbary said. “We don’t have that one player who is putting the game away for us.”

Iowa’s best chance of the game came when Iowa senior forward Brooke Backes had a one-on-one opportunity in the 37th minute. Stone blocked the shot, and IU senior defender Marissa Borschke cleared it to safety.

“That’s what Stone does,” Berbary said. “She was big, and then Marissa, we call her ‘the Wizard,’ came from right in behind and cleaned up.”

In the second half, IU had several chances to score, Berbary said. However, many of the shots were low percentage from distance, and IU also had 12 corners on the evening but could not finish.

“Set pieces win and lose you games,” Berbary said. “That just goes back to us trying to anticipate a little bit better inside the 18 and having someone step up and make a play.”