Homecoming bucket list

Homecoming weekend. A weekend when Hoosier spirit is at an all time high, strangers smile to one another, the excitement fills the campus and radiates from Hoosier to Hoosier. It’s a fun-filled and event-packed weekend. Here are some things every Hoosier shouldn’t miss.

Relive your campus

Along with the general vibe, the physical appearance of the campus changes during homecoming weekend. Take a walk around campus, specifically to the Sample Gates. Many alumni visit IU during this time. Take a walk down memory lane. Admire the cream and crimson. Inhale the Hoosier air and take pride in IU.

Hit the bars

This option is limited to the 21-plus crowd, but the bar scene is always the go-to choice for a Friday night outing. Get a good group of friends and go bar crawling. Meet some new people and expand the group with each bar you go to. The best stories almost always start in a bar.

Homecoming parade

The twirls from the dancers, the rhythm of the band, the high kicks from the cheerleaders and the cheers from the crowd. A part of homecoming weekend is the parade, which welcomes our alumni home. It’s a display of Hoosier pride at its finest. The parade showcases the various organizations on campus and the wonderful talent of our band and cheerleaders. 
The homecoming court will be presented and the king and queen will be announced. The atmosphere is thrilling and contagious.

Tailgate

This is the charging up and refueling before the game. A time of relaxing and hanging out with your Hoosier family. Tailgating is eating good food with great company. Something fun and unexpected is always happening around you. People park outside the stadium, bring out their best burgers or hotdogs and jam out to music.

The game

This year IU will play Rutgers and the game is the tipping point of the weekend. Everything has been a build up to that moment and you won’t want to miss it. From the tempo of the band to the roar of the crowd, all the way to the players on the field, Hoosier spirit will be booming. Regardless of the scoreboard, when Hoosiers gather together it’s bound to be an exciting night.

omoalufo@indiana.edu