COLUMN: The starter kit to Sevillano style

While images of warm, plaid flannels and puffy vests dominated my news feed this weekend from Bloomington — as they always do during tailgate season — it was a pretty stark contrast to what I’ve been wearing and seeing around Seville, considering four days ago I was wearing a tank top to class.

With said comparison, I decided it’s time to tackle a topic that’s been a long time coming: style and shopping.

As a person who is constantly, and often subconsciously, analyzing outfits, styles, accessories and everything in between, I’ve been jotting down both mental and physical notes of what I’ve seen of the street style here.

One of the things I’m most impressed with is how effortlessly the people here layer everything. Some days the temperature will span more than a 20-degree interval, confusing my 
wardrobe to no end.

Low of 60 and high of 80? Do I wear pants or shorts? Will I need a jacket? I’ve gotten used to packing extra garments in my backpack and continuously putting them on and taking them off, remniscent of those nights you keep ripping your comforter on and off, unable to decide if you’re extremely hot or extremely cold.

On days like this I’ll see locals wearing jeans, a leather jacket, boots and sometimes even a scarf. I commend them for braving the heat of the afternoons; however, they experience much hotter weather during the summer, so this is 
probably nothing.

Evening wear is an 
important category here, and an outfit is not complete without heels. The majority of girls who go out wear heels, and the popular choices seem to be a nice dress or jeans with a blazer and tank top.

I would consider the evening ensembles here a level or two dressier than those I typically see at a party at school.

When it comes to casual wear, crop tops are just as prevalent here as they are in the United States.

Long, patterned, flowy pants are also common, especially in helping to make the transition from summer to fall.

In terms of shopping, there are a lot of smaller, more specific shops rather than one where they sell everything, like the giant shopping centers many of us are used to.

However, El Corte Inglés is a large department store near the center of the city that is similar to ours in the U.S., and it even sells several American brands in addition to Spanish ones. And, as many large cities around the world do, Seville has many of the large fashion brands we are accustomed to seeing, such as Michael Kors, Carolina Herrera, H&M and Zara, which is a Spanish company.

As fashion and style are forever evolving, even throughout the course of a just a few months, I’m looking forward to returning to the States with a complete manual to Sevillano style and sharing more installments in the months to come.