COLUMN: The Cavaliers will win the 2016 NBA Finals

It doesn’t seem long ago that the Golden State Warriors won their first NBA Championship after beating the Cleveland Cavaliers in 6 games.

However, it’s already that time of the year again where fans start to believe that it will be their team holding up the Larry O’Brien Trophy come June. mbh

Perhaps the Warriors can win back-to-back Finals, or maybe James will bring Cleveland their first NBA title.

Maybe the impossible will happen this season and San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich will be part of an actual interview. 

But don’t get your hopes up.

Nevertheless, let’s preview 2015-16 as the 70th NBA season is about to get underway.

Once again, the Western Conference will be the big brother this year as teams have actually gotten better.

The Memphis Grizzlies will be a better team this season, however, if training camp is any indication of the regular season, their physical well-being will be a major concern come postseason in a grueling 82-game season.

It's hard to make the playoffs again after four of your five starters from last season part ways with the team in the offseason; but that does not seem to be the case for the Portland Trial Blazers. Damian Lillard, the lone returning starter, will be asked to account for a majority of the offensive production this season. Lillard, in what ESPN called a ridiculous preseason, has shown that it is now his time to shine.

Kevin Durant returns to the Oklahoma City Thunder after a foot injury sidelined him last season, but why aren’t we talking about Russell Westbrook? He solidified himself as the best point guard in the league last season and is my pick to bring him home the season MVP award. With Durant and Westbrook back together, they will be dangerous.

After all the offseason drama with DeAndre Jordan, the Los Angeles Clippers can now get back to what they do best: dunking the ball. In what is known as “Lob City,” Chris Paul is a perfect point guard to get the ball to his big men who live above the rim. Combine that with shooters like Paul, JJ Redick and Paul Pierce from beyond the arc, and this could be the best Clippers team in franchise history.

For Los Angeles Lakers fans, this is going to be one tough season, as Kobe Bryant said this would be his last season in a Lakers uniform, perhaps even in the NBA. Since the Lakers will fail to make the playoffs this year, fans should take one good last look, as this is the beginning of the end of an era.

As long as the San Antonio Spurs have Gregg Popovich as their coach, the team is always going to find themselves in a position to win the title. With the key addition of LaMarcus Aldridge, the Spurs have enough talent and experience to reach the NBA’s Mount Olympus.

And lastly, the NBA champion Warriors. Not much to say here, except what a great job head coach Steve Kerr did to get them over the hump in his first season. Their fast-paced, don’t-think-just-shoot mentality makes opposing teams dread their name when it comes up on the calendar.

It’s easy to see how dangerous and stacked the Western Conference is. Unfortunately, the same cannot be the said for the Eastern Conference.

When Jahlil Okafor threw down his jersey in disgust after being drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers, you knew then and there that it was going to be a long season. For fans who go to sleep dreaming of a playoff run from this team, keep dreaming. This team could possibly go down as the worst NBA team in NBA history.

Meanwhile, if you’re a Milwaukee Bucks fan, it’s time to wake up. Head coach Jason Kidd, who took a 15-win team to a playoff contender in one season, is ready to take the next step. With Giannis Antetokounmpo a year wiser, Khris Middleton 70 million dollars richer and Jabari Parker healthy, this team is ready to make some noise.

Another team excited for the future is the Miami Heat. From last year talking about what they lost — Lebron James’ signing with Cleveland — to talking about what they gained — Goran Dragic, Amar’e Stoudemire — while having a healthy Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, this team is ready to get back in the spotlight. 

The Indiana Pacers welcome back Paul George from a devastating leg injury in 2014. However, with only a few key pieces, the Pacers are going to need George to be an MVP candidate if they want to make any noise.

The Chicago Bulls welcome in new head coach Fred Hoiberg this season and will once again be the only real threat to the Cavs. Good news for fans, Derrick Rose’s latest injury involved his face and not his legs. With a possibly healthy Derrick Rose and this new Hoiberg read and react offense, the Bulls have what it takes to challenge King James’ throne atop the East.

Speaking of James and the Cleveland Cavaliers, they are going to be the best team in the East. When Kyrie Irving comes back from injury sometime in mid-January and Kevin Love plays on his extended contract, the team will be back to full strength.

As everyone begins to make his or her hopeful and realistic predictions for the season, I have made mine.

Western Conference Finals: Oklahoma City Thunder defeat the Golden State Warriors in six games.

Eastern Conference Finals: Cleveland Cavaliers defeat the Chicago Bulls in seven games.

Finals: Cleveland Cavaliers defeat the Oklahoma City Thunder in six games.

The Cavaliers will have a better matchup against the Thunder than they did against the Warriors. A healthy Irving can keep up with Westbrook scoring-wise . James can match-up with Durant physically. Love, who was sidelined for almost the entire postseason last year, will be the x-factor. His ability to shoot the deep ball will spread the floor and require Serge Ibaka to guard him from the perimeter, allowing James and Irving to create chaos in the paint. The series will only last six games because James will not allow the series to head back to Oklahoma City.

Then the story will then be complete, as James will have finally brought a championship to Cleveland.

micbhern@indiana.edu