Another Round invests time, forms friendships

entAnotheRound

As the lights shine down, the men sing together in harmony. Their voices dip and rise to create a variety of sounds with no instruments — a style referred to as a cappella.

Another Round is an all-male a cappella group at IU comprised of 12 members. Originally named Straight No Chaser, the group was founded by 10 former IU students in 1996 and later changed its name to Another Round after the original members formed a professional group, according to Another Round’s official website.

The group performs at both public and private events three to six times per month, said IU senior Lars Feste, who is a member and co-business manager of the group.

The public events are generally at auditoriums or theaters and are accessible to the public, whereas the private events are closed events for corporations or companies.

“This year, we’ve already performed at the Marriott in Indianapolis twice for companies,” Feste said. “We’ll be going back again in November for another private event, too.”

While many of the group’s performances are local, they also perform at various out-of-state venues.

According to its official website, the group will perform in four states other than Indiana this year including Illinois and Michigan.

“We do a lot of traveling,” Feste said. “In past years, we’ve performed in Wisconsin, Missouri and Ohio. We’ve also traveled all the way to Colorado, and we’re actually going again in November.”

Another Round also sings at sororities and restaurants, such as Uptown Cafe.

Of the 12 members, three are new to the group this year. Feste said getting acclimated to the group can sometimes be difficult for new members.

“It’s definitely a process because everything moves pretty quickly at first,” Feste said. “We make it pretty clear to them that it’s a large commitment and something that should be taken very seriously.”

The practice schedule can be taxing on new members at first, he said. The group has practice sessions Monday through Thursday and sometimes Sunday for about an hour and a half per session.

Along with the rigorous practice sessions, the new members must also memorize a lot of new songs.

Freshman Jared Griffin, who has only been in the group for about four weeks, said the group’s laid-back demeanor has helped him become more comfortable.

“When we perform, we just get on the stage and try to have as much fun as we can,” Griffin said.

To help its new members become more at ease, the group members also spend a lot of time together, during practice sessions as well as on their own time. They hang out every week, which helps them bond and grow closer, Feste said.

“We hang out almost every night, and we do a lot of other stuff together,” Feste said. “We’re a group of friends when it’s all said and done. It’s like a 
brotherhood.”