Six-decade artist brings audience to their feet

Tony Bennett sings "The Best is yet to come" and "Maybe This Time" in beginning of his concert which is in the IU Auditorium on Sunday night.

A single spotlight shined down on the stage.

A guitar, a piano, a bass and a drum were the only things visible to the audience.

Then the entrance of one man made the 2,200 audience members stand in unison to honor his 
presence.

Tony Bennett performed at the IU Auditorium on Sunday evening as part of his 2015 tour. Having previously performed in Bloomington six years ago, Bennett said he was happy to back in such a welcoming, 
beautiful place.

The opening numbers were a collaboration of Duke Ellington songs to honor the 116th anniversary of his birth. Bennett said Ellington was one of his main inspirations, so he wanted to dedicate part of his work to the musical legend.

Bennett continued the performance without pausing between songs, not stopping for the many moments of applause. Bennett paid tribute to Frank Sinatra and played some of his No. 1 hit singles, as well.

One of the opening selections was “Maybe This Time” from the musical, “Cabaret.” Bennett belted the lyrics, “Maybe this time, I’ll be lucky,” filling the entire theater with his voice. The sound of gasps followed the note.

Bennett dedicated another portion of the performance to the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Sinatra’s birth.

He referenced his latest album with collaboration from Lady Gaga, “Cheek to Cheek,” in a portion of the show.

“You should all go out and buy the album because she needs the money,” Bennett joked.

Previously close friends with the late Sinatra, Bennett performed crooning numbers famous in the standards genre.

Every so often, he would toast his glass of water or blow a kiss to the audience. He said at the age of 89 years old, the main reason he continues to perform is because of the genuine audiences throughout the world.

Coming from a six-decade recording career, Bennett is considered a master of his craft by many record labels. He started his career with Columbia Records in 1950 and left his contract in 1972 when the competition from the British invasion, such as The Beatles, became too powerful. Bennett then joined MGM records but yielded no hits. He left without a recording job.

Bennett soon made his own recording label and went back to his roots with his personal style, his tuxedo and the Great American Songbook. Bennett has been awarded a total of 18 Grammys and two Emmys, in addition to being honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Pat Williams, a Bloomington resident, said she was a long-time fan of Bennett.

“Tony Bennett has the ability to attract people outside of Bloomington because he has been around a long time and he had his career rejuvenated on MTV,” Williams said. “When his son, Danny, took over the management of his performing, I think that really helped to revitalize 
his career.

Fans ranged from young to old.

Bennett has collaborated with many pop stars, including Amy Winehouse, Christina Aguilera and Lady Gaga.

Jake Wax, a freshman at IU, attended the performance alone, looking for a new cultural experience.

“I’ve heard of Tony Bennett before and have seen him on television, but never really was exposed to his music,” Wax said. “This is my chance to see him in his prime time.”

The closing number, “Smile” by Charlie Chaplin, brought the audience to its feet once again.

“The music just makes you feel good inside and out,” freshman Tenni Worrell said. “Tony Bennett has a talent to dominate a room with 
his voice.”