Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Death Match Poll

Fourth Street Festival

Freddy Krueger

Height: 5’8”

Weight: 160 lbs

Occupation: Janitor at Springwood Power Station/murderer in dreams

Weapon of choice: Clawed glove, your worst nightmare

From Wes Craven’s “A Nightmare on Elm Street” film series and your dreams, Krueger is definitely the favorite in this matchup. He is a burnt serial killer and vengeful ghost who utilizes his razored glove to kill victims in their sleep, which also leads to their deaths in real life. In the dream world, he is an indestructible villain and god-like in his invulnerability. Krueger dons an infamous red-and-green sweater as he remains in the shadows, ready to attack.

Definitely terrifying, Krueger represents our subconscious fears and has the better weapon in this matchup. His claws, compared to Bates’ knife, have the advantage, however his main ability, to creep into dreams, will not come into play in this duel. It seems fair to say that Bates will not fall asleep during this fight, which drastically hurts Krueger’s chances. Overall, Krueger is definitely the more fleshed-out villain in this matchup as his misdeeds have been published over and over again.

Norman Bates

Height: 6’2”

Weight: 170  lbs

Occupation: Owner of Bates Motel

Weapon of choice: Knife (when wearing mother’s clothing)

Out of the mind of Alfred Hitchcock, Norman Bates is from the film “Psycho”, which at the time, was one of the more shocking and horrific movies ever made. After suffering emotional abuse from his mother, Bates was an isolated child who, after his mother found a boyfriend, murdered her with strychnine. He developed dissociative identity disorder and began killing to escape his guilt for his past. As the owner of the Bates Motel, Bates becomes obsessed with his female guests and tries to kill them.

Certifiably  insane, Bates uses his notorious knife to great use in the films that he is featured in. Surely he will not be intimidated by Krueger and, even though he is the underdog, has the edge in pure insanity. Also, he has an advantage in motivation as he would be fighting for the memory of his mother. Bates has killed adults before, something that Krueger is not as experienced in due to his focusing on teenagers.