Lawyer representing former IU student defends case

Representing former IU student John Phillip Enochs in a case involving two counts of rape, lawyer Katharine Liell said she believes there is evidence in the case not reported in the probable cause affidavit that “will change the minds of the public.”

Liell is representing Enochs in partnership with attorney Amelia Lahn. Liell said only women will be on the defense team for Enochs’ case.

“It is not by coincidence that a team of all women are representing him in the case,” Liell said. “He has a team of female warriors ready to go to bat for him.”

The two alleged rapes were reported as separate incidents to the IU Police Department. One was reported as occurring at the Delta Zeta sorority house in fall 2013 and the other was reported as occurring in the Delta Tau Delta house in spring 2015, according to a Monroe County Court probable cause affidavit.

Witness statements, victim identification, DNA results and video evidence gave IUPD probable cause to seek a warrant for Enochs’ arrest on two counts of rape, according to the IUPD statement.

Enochs surrendered to the Monroe County Jail Friday, according to a statement from the IUPD.

Liell said she is “clearly convinced” of Enochs’ innocence.

“We are eager to tell his story in a court of law to test the women’s 
credibility,” Liell said.

Enochs is facing one count of rape as a Level 3 felony and one count of rape as a Class B felony, according to a Monroe County Court case 
summary.

Enochs first enrolled at IU in fall 2012 and his last semester was in spring 2015. Enochs hasn’t been enrolled in fall classes and has not graduated from IU, University 
spokesperson Mark Land said.

Enochs was studying business and was a brother of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity at the time of the alleged rapes, Liell said.

Delta Tau Delta fraternity was placed on a deferred suspension Sept. 1, effective through March 2016. The suspension is a result of an “environment conducive to endangering university students that resulted in a sexual assault,” according to IU’s Student Life and Learning’s disciplinary probation records.

Delta Tau Delta fraternity Chief Operating Officer Jack Kreman said in an email that the fraternity’s headquarters office is “aware of a lawsuit filed involving its chapter at Indiana University,” and that the office is “working with its counsel to review the complaint.”

Delta Tau Delta fraternity is also being placed under social restrictions through Jan. 1, 2016, according the disciplinary probation records.

Assistant Dean of Students Steve Veldkamp said in an email, “The social sanctions are a result of organization being held responsible for creating an environment which led to sexual misconduct from a 2015 incident.”

Enochs is scheduled to 
appear in court Nov. 10.