sports men's soccer

IU defeats USF in last game of tournament

No. 18 IU won its second of two games in the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament as it beat No. 24 USF 2-0 Sunday at Alumni Stadium.

Goals from senior forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen and sophomore centerback Grant Lillard sealed the win for the Hoosiers.

“Great weekend coming here against two really dynamic teams — very good offensive teams,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “After a good performance on Sunday, I thought it was important that we found a good win and to find two this weekend against two teams that are 
tournament teams.”

At the opening training session Wednesday, Hollinger-Janzen said a goal in the tournament would be nice, especially because he failed to convert a penalty against St. John’s and hit the post against Notre Dame.

The 6-foot-0 forward duly opened the scoring in the 14th minute when he converted an assist from junior defender Billy McConnell.

“It was a good finish by Femi, and he was dangerous all day,” Yeagley said. “He was an absolute handful. It was good to have him on the score sheet, his confidence is growing, and it’s going to be a good springboard for Femi moving forward.”

The Hoosiers spent the opening 10 minutes of the game on their back feet, but the goal turned the tide.

The Hoosiers headed into the break with only one goal to show.

The two teams resumed the start of the second 45 minutes with IU carrying on where it left off in the first half.

Junior midfielder Tanner Thompson had a shot blocked within two minutes of the restart. Hollinger-Janzen had another attempt within moments of the shot, but his header was high.

The Hoosiers’ goal would finally come in the 63rd minute, when Lillard took advantage of a rebound in the 
six-yard box.

“He’s so big and athletic that he can make plays in all different capacities,” Yeagley said about Lillard. “The two that he was dealing with today with Derek (Creviston) are very dynamic, very quick and he’s 6-4, and they’re about 5-9, and he didn’t get beat with pace. I thought he had an All-American kind of 
performance.”

IU tried to rack up more goals to help increase its goal difference.

Transfer forward Ben Maurey and senior midfielder Matt Foldesy both saw their efforts blocked. 
Hollinger-Janzen came the closest to extending the lead, but the post denied his effort in the 80th minute.

The Hoosiers finished the game with two goals scored and none considered. The Hoosiers were also able to restrict the number of attempts the opposition had, as the Bulls had only eight attempts on goal.

“One thing that was clear this weekend is that our team defending is very good, individually and collectively,” Yeagley said.

IU will play No. 25 Penn State on Sunday for their first Big Ten match.

“Penn State’s a fantastic team every year, and it’s going to be a great match,” Yeagley said.