IU alumna remembered as sweet, intelligent

For the professors, friends and people she worked with, the first word to describe Joyce Nyakato was sweet.

“She was just a really sweet person,” said Jim Kelly, director of undergraduate studies in the Media School. “That’s the word that keeps coming
 to mind.”

Nyakato received her Master of Arts degree in health journalism from IU in May. She died Sept. 2 at the age of 29. She had been hospitalized in August after being diagnosed with three brain tumors in July.

Before attending IU, Nyakato had been a writer at New Vision, the largest newspaper in her home country of Uganda, for three years.

“She was very far from home,” said Joseph Coleman, a professor in the Media School who had taught Nyakato in 2013. “We used to talk about the weather. I think the cold was a shock to her.”

“It’s especially distressing that she died so far away from home,” Kelly said.

Kelly had worked with Nyakato for a course in which Kelly took 11 students to Uganda last summer to report on the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

“I am not African, and while I have worked in Africa, I cannot give that perspective, and Joyce could,” Kelly said. “She had insight into the unique culture that is valuable in so many ways.”

Nyakato’s love of her country was always apparent, 
Kelly said.

“She was absolutely thrilled by my students’ enthusiasm for her country,” Kelly said. “She had been away from her family, friends and culture for a year, and I think it was a little heartwarming to her.”

Despite her distance from her home and family, Nyakato seemed to thrive at IU, 
Coleman said.

“Her intelligence was the first thing I grasped about her. She said words in English I didn’t even know,” said Felicia Akanmu, a classmate and friend of Nyakato. “And she was so friendly. She could break down anybody’s walls.”

Akanmu spoke at length about Nyakato’s legacy of friendliness, good humor and hard work during her time at IU.

“I’m really hoping she’s in a better place,” Akanmu said.

Nyakato was very religious and very close to God, 
Akanmu said.

“She would tell you stories for as long as you wanted to listen,” Kelly said. “I miss her.”

A fund has been set up to raise money to send Nyakato’s body back to her family in Uganda for burial. Donations can be made at gofundme.com/zg39yrqg?pc=.