Druids celebrate fall equinox in Bloomington

Branch candle holders, four-packs of vanilla-colored votive candles and a Buck knife circled the fire pit at Horseman’s Camp Area in the Yellowwood State Forest.

Campfire smoke began to seep into the clothes of the Black Bear Grove druids, who leaned against trees or crouched on the mossy ground. A gust of wind rustled leaves above and then passed. A bird cawed. They waited.

A bell chimed, and finger cymbals responded as the autumn equinox ritual began Saturday evening.

Black Bear Grove, a group based in Bloomington, formed in 2003. Druids are polytheists who believe in honoring the Earth Mother and serving the land and spirits with magical ceremonies.

The five members of the grove and two friends of the grove paused while a woman dressed in a Hellenic symbol-covered tunic waved a sage incense stick along their outstretched arms and down their backs. Then they moved toward the fire pit.

There was a request to the outsiders: “To all beings physical or nonphysical who do not join us today, please take this offering ... and go party somewhere else.”

First came a mantra for attunement: Raa Maa Daa Saa Sa Se So Hung. They repeated it 12 times.

They called the gods and patrons, starting with the Earth Mother.

“Hail and welcome!” they repeated, waiting with outstretched arms. A silver flask engraved with a Celtic knot flashed over the fire, and flames flared feet into the air.

This is a time of balance between light and dark, they said. It is time to harvest spiritually in preparation for the cold months.

Then came the portal song, a celebratory tune memorized like a congregation’s favorite hymn. “By fire and by water, between earth and sky ... We stand like the world tree, rooted deep, crown high.” They gathered closer to the fire for the opening of the gates, allowing the gods and goddesses to join them.

Three members held staffs about four feet long that met at a point above the flames.

“Let it be opened!” all repeated three times. The sticks were brought down with a clack, forming a triangle.

Then it was time for the personal offerings.

“[She is] the type of goddess who, you try to take her out for her birthday and she picks up the tab,” Sidney Bolam said while honoring the Earth Mother.

“Thank you for watching over my son as he embarks in public school,” she said to Athena.

Throughout the ritual, the tone was both spiritual and 
informal. The members shared personal news and joked. Invocations and prayers were offered spontaneously. Laughter was common, and there was at least one “that’s what she said” joke.

Themes of self-improvement, gratitude for positive changes and community ran throughout the calm and 
joyful ceremony.

They passed around the Waters of Life, two ceramic vessels containing water and a mixture of Bailey’s and coffee.

During the “Working,” a member presented the myth of Lakshmi and Vishnu, in which the goddess chose Vishnu as a partner, placing a garland around his neck.

Members took votive candles and used the knife to carve things into it them which they wanted to sustain them for the following year, like peace signs or a pentacle for protection. They put the candles into the branch holders and placed flower 
garlands around the 
branches.

The crickets were louder and orange embers glowed when members raised their staffs once more to close 
the portal.