COLUMN: The girl in the copied literary legacy

The latest installment of the ever-popular “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” series has made its way to the top of several best sellers lists, as well as my bookshelf.

However, Swedish journalist Stieg Larsson, the original author of the trilogy, did not write this fourth novel, “The Girl in the Spider’s Web.”

Instead, biographer and novelist David Lagercrantz took on the impossible and unnecessary challenge of continuing the series.

Larsson, unfortunately, died in 2004 before “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” — originally titled in Swedish ”Män som hatar kvinnor,” which means “men who hate women” — was published and before he could ever see its worldwide popularity come to light.

While the story of the infamous bad girl and super genius Lisabeth Salander continues, did Lagercrantz do the series justice?

And with Larsson’s literary grace, exceptionally powerful characters and complex plotlines, is it unethical for an author to piggyback another’s work after their death?

As a reader, I have never been so conflicted. This trilogy is easily my favorite fictional series next to the Harry Potter series. And Lisabeth Salander, the girl with the dragon tattoo and a force not to be reckoned with, is my 
favorite fictional character.

I want to remain loyal to Larsson and his work, but I am also dying to keep the story going. However, this fourth book never should have been written.

The publication of “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” didn’t go without criticism, especially from Larsson’s longtime partner Eva Gabrielsson, who said she would not read Lagercrantz’s book.

“Stieg had a life, he had ideas, he had his own voice,” she told NPR. “He pulled that life and himself into books, and because they are so personal and original, that’s why they became such a success. You can’t take that away from him by hijacking the characters and letting them 
continue.”

I find it difficult not to agree. Unfortunately, since Larsson left no will and had not married Gabrielsson, she had no legal say in the matter. Also, the massive royalties from his three books, instead, have gone to his father and brother. They were 
purportedly not close.

But can Lagercrantz’s continuation of the series ever meet the standard of Larsson’s original work?

One critic at the Washington Post would say not so much, deeming his narrative to be “fragmentary and confusing” with “absurdly complicated moments.”

This book sits on my desk, yet to be read. I had even 
pre-ordered it, not yet considering that it might not be even close to the literary standard of Larsson’s work. I did not consider 
disappointment.

Because of Larsson’s legacy, the success of “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” looks promising. The book printed 500,000 copies in the United States and continues to sit at the top of several best seller lists like USA Today, Publisher’s Weekly and the Wall Street Journal.

Lagercrantz is essentially profiting off Larsson’s work and even making a name for himself. Unfortunately, the original author will see none of this. Larsson deserved 
better than this.