Career fair offers opportunities for students, employers

IU sophomore Mariela Jimenez talks to a recruiter from the L Brands during a career fair hosted at IMU on Thursday afternoon. Jimenez is looking for a design internship to gain more real professional experience.

Students and employers filled the Indiana Memorial Union for the Fall Career and Internship Fair on Thursday afternoon. Countless students and representatives from 116 came to the fair to find a match.

The College of Arts and Sciences Career Services department sponsored the fair. The Thursday fair was one of two organized each year. The other fair takes place in 
January.

In the IMU Solarium, two representatives from FitzMark Inc., an Indianapolis-based third-party logistics company, were interviewing students for full-time sales positions.

“We’re not super well known, so that makes it harder,” said Jenny Peller, a recruiter from FitzMark. “We only have 62 people in our office, but this helps us get our name out there, and it helps market the company.”

Grace Antonelli, a senior in telecommunications, stopped by the FitzMark table at the beginning of the fair.

“I’ve just been walking around for the most part so far,” Antonelli said. “I’m looking for anything, really.”

Résumé in hand, she, like the other students around her, soon moved to the next table. Booths filled Alumni Hall, the Solarium and the Georgian Room in the IMU.

“I went last year when I was looking for an 
internship, but this is the first year I’ve come looking for a job,” said Brianna Cook, a senior in apparel merchandising. “I had two interviews yesterday, and I’ve already been invited to different information sessions later in the day, so that’s exciting.”

Corporations large and small send representatives to the fair. The main goal is to get information to people on what opportunities are available, said Jessica Quackenbush, a representative for Kohl’s Department Stores.

“We’re just excited about the fresh perspective that students bring to us, and it’s just fun to connect them to a great career,” said Abby Eimermann, another recruiter for Kohl’s.

The diversity of employers present at the fair is essential to both students and corporations, said Laura Fonseca, associate director of College of Arts and Sciences Career Services.

“College of Arts and Sciences students are adaptable to so many different roles,” Fonseca said. “Events like career fairs give them the opportunity to meet a wide breadth of employers.”

The college offers many other opportunities besides their career fairs, Fonseca said. Information sessions, workshops and advising sessions are also available through the office.

“We’re really dedicated to empowering college students,” Fonseca said. “This career fair is just the tip of the iceberg.”