Bloomington officials recommend Seventh St. changes to reduce bus accidents

A series of bus accidents along Seventh Street prompted discussion regarding new bus stops at Wednesday’s traffic commission meeting.

Planning Services Manager Scott Robinson told the commission about vehicle crashes and mirror damage as cars attempted to pass buses but swiped mirrors in the process.

“Large vehicles have crashed when they were attempting to pass buses,” Robinson said.

Images on a PowerPoint screen showed the commissioners the perils of bus traffic on Seventh Street. In one image, two buses passed each other in different lanes, mirrors only a few feet from colliding.

Ian Patton, Bloomington Transit’s operations manager, spoke from his seat in the front row of the room.

“On a full day, we have 164 trips scheduled on that road,” Patton said. “It’s a high-density corridor for us.”

Robinson wanted the commission to formally recommend the street be altered so that accidents dropped. This required the commission to recommend three of the transit stops be relocated, and the commission be aware of a net removal of four to five metered parking spots.

It was also noted that the current bus stops are not accessible for people with disabilities and are not ideal under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

“I think the stops were literally put up where there was space,” Patton said. “I’m surprised we didn’t get more complaints about ADA 
accessibility.”

Patton was referring to a transit stop near the Poplars. To stand near the stop, people must stand in the grass, which can be muddy or snowy depending on the time of year. Both Patton and Robinson agreed something more accessible would be a welcome improvement for all people.

Robinson’s plan as-is means space will be added to Seventh Street so busses can pull over and cars can pass them. Hopefully, he said, this will make the area safer for both cars and buses.

“If we do have an accident, we’ve got the street locked up,” Patton said. “The (new) stops don’t just 
benefit us.”

Commissioner Andrew Cibor nodded in agreement.

“I heard Bloomington Transit is having record ridership this year too,” Cibor said.

The commission gave Robinson a formal recommendation that Seventh Street be altered for greater traffic safety.

The commission also discussed adding back-in angled parking for certain areas downtown, changing some metered parking spots to be only short-term parking for businesses and adding more crosswalks downtown. The changes to Seventh Street were the only items to receive voting and formal consideration.

The traffic commission meets at 5:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of every month in City Hall.