Pulling out without protection

By Debby Herbenick, PhD

Kinsey Confidential is a service of the Kinsey Institute and the IU School of Public Health. For more good sex information, podcasts or to submit a question, visit us online at kinseyconfidential.org.

My boyfriend and I had sex five times back to back. He pulled out every time, squeezed the head of his penis, wiped it and put back in. One time he got some semen by my vagina. He told me to sit still while he got a towel then he wiped me. Could some of his sperm have gotten in me? Can I get pregnant from this? I’d like to have a baby but he doesn’t want one right now. Could I still get pregnant from him pulling out and putting back in so many times back to back? He came every single time.

Yes, there is the possibility of getting pregnant from having sex the way you described. Here’s how:

First, when your boyfriend ejaculated near your vaginal opening, even if he got a towel and wiped off some of his semen, it is possible that some of his sperm may have already traveled into your vagina and up through your uterus – after all, sperm swim pretty quickly!

Second, after your boyfriend ejaculated each time, some of his sperm would have remained inside his urethra. Then when he put his penis back inside of your vagina, sperm could have easily traveled from his urethra and into your vagina. If you had recently ovulated (which refers to when your ovary releases an egg each month), or if you ovulated in the days following when you had sex with your boyfriend, and if you are not on birth control, then there is the possibility of pregnancy.

If your boyfriend does not want to have a baby right now, he should stop putting his penis inside your vagina without using any form of pregnancy prevention. As much as you may want to become pregnant, if he doesn’t want a baby, that is something you two should talk about. If you two have different ideas about pregnancy and decide to avoid pregnancy for now, then I would encourage you to use condoms or other reliable forms of birth control such as the birth control pill, patch, shot, ring, implant or IUD. You can learn more about birth control options on our website as well as at www.plannedparenthood.com or from your doctor or nurse.

Debby Herbenick, PhD is an Associate Professor at Indiana University’s School of Public Health and a Research Fellow and sexual health educator at The Kinsey Institute. She’s the author of six books about sex; her newest is “The Coregasm Workout.” Follow Kinsey Confidential on Twitter @KinseyCon & visit us online at www.KinseyConfidential.org.