Doula works for women's empowerment

Rebecca Greenan, a Bloomington doula, draws on a girl's ankle using henna. As a doula, Greenan works with women to change the way that pregnancy and women are perceived.

Sitting on the ground next to the B-Line trail, a doula carefully drew a henna sun onto a smiling girl’s ankle. There was no set price for the woman’s artwork, though she gladly accepted donations. After each piece of body art was complete, she asked the customer, “Are you a hugger?” before wrapping them in her design-covered arms.

Rebecca Greenan is not Bloomington’s only doula. She estimated there are at least ten practicing in the area. Each Saturday, Greenan sets up a table near the farmer’s market to explain her profession to curious passerby.

“I provide emotional, physical and educational support to women before and during childbirth,” she told one woman.

Greenan began this career path when she was in college. After a friend of hers had a stressful and unexpected pregnancy, she wanted to work so no other woman had a similar experience.

“Pregnancy is a time when women are faced with a lot of big decisions,” she said. “Doulas are there to support them through that. We have the fact-based information so that if somebody tells the mom that she shouldn’t be doing this or that, we can give them all the facts and then support them in their decision.”

So far Greenan has been to 12 births and is currently on call for No. 13. During labor and the weeks leading up to it, she helps the new mom with anything she needs.

“I go get food for her partner, I make sure the partner’s sleeping, I draw a bath, I let them know that they can do this,” she said..

Greenan frequently reads new research on pregnancy and childbirth. She’s able to explain the purpose of each machine in any delivery room. She also draws henna on the mom’s stomach to pamper her and center her mind on her baby.

Greenan said the average cost for a doula’s services in Bloomington is $700.

Outside of her work with individual mothers, Greenan’s larger mission is to change the way pregnancy — and womanhood in general — is perceived in America.

“It’s part of our culture that a lot of women think of themselves as not being enough,” she said. “We live in a society where women don’t always get the recognition they 
deserve.”

Greenan herself has rejected mainstream feminine body ideals. Her views on natural beauty are evidenced by her makeup-free face and the unshaven legs visible under her long skirt.

In order to spread this confidence and positivity and to help women share their thoughts and stories in a safe place, Greenan is currently working to create Bloomington’s first “red tent.”

“Red tents are part of an international movement that encourages women to celebrate themselves and share stories about womanhood,” she said. “They can come and talk about their first period, childbirth or whatever they want.”

Once Greenan generates enough interest, she said she wants to start having the meetings for a couple of hours once a month. She said she hopes the forum will help local women feel empowered.

“I believe in the power of all women,” she said. “I love my job because I get to see women come into that power, and I get to pamper them like the goddesses they are.”