Best times to visit your student

It can be difficult finding a balance between home and studies after freshman begin classes on August 24th, but Indiana University provides several opportunities for families far and close to explore the IU Bloomington experience together.

Freshman Parents weekend will be September 18th through the 20th and is the perfect time visit students after adjusting to their transition to college. Families are welcome to explore IU’s academic spaces and discover the IU traditions the beautiful campus has to offer. Catch an IU football game at Memorial Stadium against Western Kentucky on September 19th.

The combined Freshman Family/Parents Weekend will be November 6th through the 8th – the same day as the IU vs. Penn State Football game. Join the Hoosier tradition by attending the free Hoosier Village tailgate that starts at 9 a.m. located on the south side of the Memorial Stadium.

Families will have the chance to meet representatives from IU’s office of First Year Experience, the Dean of Students Office, and from Visit Bloomington. Families will also be able to meet and mingle with fellow IU students and parents while enjoying a buffet meal, featuring a la carte items from local restaurants. Live entertainment will even be provided to ensure the newest IU families they are welcome to have a good time. Kickoff will be at noon.

For students in need of traveling home, IU Bloomington provides excellent shuttle services to and from the Indianapolis International Airport. GO Express Travel and The Start of America each offer one-way trip around $20 and have multiple airport shuttle pickup locations throughout campus such as the Indiana Memorial Union.

This is just one of the many convenient options parents can take getting students home within a reasonable price whether it is for Christmas break following Fall finals, which are December 14th through the 18th, or just a weekend visit with the family.