sports baseball

6 Hoosiers selected Wednesday in MLB Draft

spBaseballvsMich

The Cubs like the Hoosiers. That much was apparent after the early rounds of Wednesday’s portion of the Major League Baseball Draft.

In back-to-back rounds, the Chicago Cubs selected two IU pitchers: sophomore Jake Kelzer and junior Scott Effross. This comes one year after the Cubs drafted former IU catcher Kyle Schwarber with the fourth overall pick in the draft.

“Unbelievable! Love it! Congrats to both @JakeKelzer and @sefrosty32 #cubs,” Schwarber tweeted Wednesday.

Kelzer and Effross were drafted in the 14th and 15th rounds, respectively. In last season’s MLB Draft, Kelzer was drafted in the 22nd round by the New York Yankees but elected to return to Bloomington. He has the same option once again, as does Effross.

If they return next season, both would be a major part of IU’s pitching staff in 2016, whether in the bullpen or the starting rotation.

Another pitcher to potentially leave for the pros is junior Christian Morris, who was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 33rd round. 

Three Hoosier seniors were also drafted by major league teams, giving them an opportunity to extend their baseball careers.

In the 21st round, senior closer Ryan Halstead was drafted by the San Francisco Giants. He had been drafted twice before, the first time in high school in the 36th round by the Houston Astros and the second time after his junior season in the 26th round by the Minnesota Twins.

Both times the Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. native turned down professional contracts to play college baseball for IU.

Another Hoosier senior drafted was catcher Brad Hatong, who heard his name called in the 29th round by the Minnesota Twins.

Senior pitcher Luke Harrison was drafted in the 35th round by the St. Louis Cardinals, the sixth Hoosier drafted and the fifth pitcher. Wednesday was the first time Harrison has been drafted.

As for incoming Hoosiers, no incoming high school players have been drafted as of yet. However, two incoming transfer players were drafted. Travis Herin, a pitcher from Wabash Valley College, was drafted in the 18th round by the Los Angeles Angles and Alex Krupa, a transfer from Iowa Western Community College, was drafted in the 35th round by the Cincinnati Reds. Both players would be eligible immediately should they choose to attend IU. 

Graduating seniors Scott Donley, Casey Rodrigue and Will Nolden went undrafted.

Michael Hughes