Ohio running back becomes commit No. 8 for IU

He felt he played well enough to earn an offer from IU during a camp more than a week ago. He said IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns and running backs coach Deland McCullough already wanted to offer. They were just waiting for IU Coach Kevin Wilson to pull the trigger.

Tuesday, Ohio running back prospect Cole Gest was offered by IU. He was so happy he couldn’t stop smiling. Wednesday morning, he became commit No. 8 for IU’s 2016 recruiting class.

“Glad to say I have committed to Indiana University!” Gest tweeted. “It was meant to be.”

247sports rates Gest as a 3-star prospect who had offers from local schools like Toledo, Kent State, Bowling Green and Ohio. He ran for 1,854 yards and 25 touchdowns last season at St. Edward High School.

During the camp at IU, Gest felt he was the fastest running back there. He told the story of how quick he was and how well run his routes were that he made a defender fall during one-on-one matchups.

He said the staff feels he is a valuable asset, and IU can utilize his speed in a variety of ways.

“I fit perfectly here with their ?offense,” Gest said the coaches told him. “They stopped recruiting running backs, and they believe I’m gonna be a big time player.”

His new coach at St. Edward, Tom Lombardo, said the number one word with Gest is explosiveness. Whether me is doing plyometrics or jumping on platform boxes, Gest is a tremendous athlete.

“You can see in the game film that he can break the big runs,” Lombardo said. “But he is also able to fight for those short yards.”

Lombardo said Gest’s goal was always to play big time football and IU was one he sought out early.

Gest said the idea of a “spiritual” freshman year convinced him to be a Hoosier. He is looking forward to meeting all the players and practicing with them in the future. He said there is a good chance he can play early at IU.

Gest is the fourth 2016 commitment from Ohio, joining Cincinnati area players like quarterback Peyton Ramsey, defensive back A’Shon Riggins and lineman Ryan Smith.

“Coach McCullough and I believe it was meant to be,” Gest said.