The WonderLab becomes Wonka's Lab

Alexandra Jia gets a fronzen fruit roll from the event staff at the WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology during the Wonder Wonka Edible Chemistry program on Sunday May 10th. The apples and bananas used in activities were donated by Bloomingfoods.

Lab coats and chef’s aprons are interchangeable at the WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and ?Technology.

“Every time you’re in the kitchen, you’re dealing with science,” Liza Huffman, a museum assistant, said. “When you’re cooking anything, like baking a cake, a lot of people don’t think about how that’s chemistry.”

At the “Wonder Wonka Edible Chemistry” event Sunday, volunteers used this combination of science and treats to teach visitors about ?chemistry.

“Chemistry is a very broad subject, but when you talk to little kids about it, they usually think of blowing stuff up or volcanoes or stuff like that,” Huffman explained. “This is a good, hands-on way for kids to learn that chemistry is actually happening everywhere all the time.”

Visitors had the opportunity to take part in various activities like tattooing a banana, creating carbonated lemonade and making homemade gushers.

Children could also eat slices of apples while smelling scented extracts to see how their sense of smell affects how they taste things.

“When you poke holes in the banana peel, that allows the oxidation process to start early so the banana gets brown,” Huffman explained, motioning to the table where children traced smiley faces and letters onto bananas donated by ?Bloomingfoods.

At another table, kids and parents smashed bananas into pulp, then spread them in a tray. A volunteer then poured dry ice onto the mushy goo, making it curl into a frozen treat. Chocolate, whipped cream and sprinkles were added next.

“School is so focused on basic book work so that kids can learn whatever they need to know to pass the ISTEP.” Hoffman said. “These kinds of activities inspire kids and parents to branch out with their ?learning.”

For Maarten Bout and his two children, the museum is always a good way to discover new activities.

“It’s Mother’s Day, so we wanted a way to get out of the house and spend time with family,” Bout, a longtime museum member, said.

“Now we have our golden tickets and we’re having fun, and the kids are actually learning something about science.”

Nearly everyone working was a volunteer and many were high-school aged.

“You don’t really have to like science to like being here,” volunteer Shay Upadhaya said. “It’s open to ?everyone.”