Bloomington Songwriter Showcase Performance to take Place at the Player's Pub

Every Monday, songwriters from Bloomington and elsewhere come together to perform their new material for the community to hear.

As a part of the Bloomington Songwriter Showcase, Monday’s performance will feature The Melinda Kay Duo, Jim Krause and Anne Hurley and Greg O’Haver, who will all be performing at the Players Pub.

The Bloomington Songwriter Showcase displays three to four musical artists from across the country almost every Monday at the Pub.

Jim Krause and Anne Hurley is a instrumental duo. They met when they were students at the IU Jacobs School of Music and have been married for 29 years.

Krause plays the guitar and mandolin, and Hurley plays the cello.

Together, the two have played a wide variety of musical genres including classical, folk, jazz, new age and Americana music.

“Jim and I have been playing as a duo for the last 10 to 15 years,” Hurley said. “Our sound is very unique, and it draws from many types of music. There’s no real way to define what kind of sound we have.”

Hurley, along with her husband Krause, said the two of them have performed at the pub numerous times and have enjoyed the atmosphere with the audience there.

“We have played at the pub many times, having nearly played there two or three times each year,” Hurley said. “The atmosphere of the pub is very nice. We have met a wide variety of people there, and they are very friendly and supportive to the songwriters.”

The Melinda Kay group is an acoustic duo composed of Martinsville natives Melinda Armstrong and Randy Nichols.

Together, they play country, rock and alternative music. Having formerly performed in the band Crossing Bridges, the group writes their own music along with performing ?covers.

This will be the duo’s debut performance at the Players Pub for the Bloomington Songwriter ?Showcase.

Greg O’Haver is a Carmel, Ind., native and singer-songwriter who plays the guitar and banjo. He studied at the music school.

The performance will be set up in sections where each act will go around and perform five to six new songs for their musical set.

Jim Krause and Anne Hurley are set to perform new songs from their upcoming fall album.

“One of the reasons we like to play since it forces us to keep our chops up and create new music,” Hurley said. “The Pub is so accepting to testing new music. It is usually a fun time, since it’s such a relaxed atmosphere.”

The event will take place at 8 p.m. Monday at the Players Pub. There will be no cover charge. However, donations for the musical acts are accepted.