weekend

Youtube to television

‘The Grace Helbig Show’

B-

For those who frequent YouTube, “The Grace Helbig Show” will be another way to get your video fix.

YouTube personality Grace Helbig’s self-titled TV show premiered at 10:30 p.m. Friday on E!

Besides a five-minute commentary on news stories in the beginning, Helbig’s show is similar to her online videos.

Helbig’s first guest was Aisha Tyler, a comedian and host on “The Talk.” The two discussed different comedy platforms and fears.

Next to appear was Mamrie Hart, Helbig’s best friend and fellow YouTube star. Hart and Helbig played a game called “Deal,” in which the two show each other funny videos. If the other person can’t “deal” and laughs, then she has to take a shot.

So basically, it’s an excuse for Helbig to hangout with her best friend and drink.

For those who already enjoy watching random YouTube videos, this bit might be funny. If you’re like me, though, and don’t like watching other people watch videos — especially ones that aren’t even that funny — this segment falls flat.

Of course, people have different tastes in humor. Helbig’s fans who viewed the show probably enjoyed her awkward, sarcastic and sometimes deadpan-style delivery. There are some good jokes but nothing that is laugh-out-loud funny.

Helbig’s last guest was Flula Borg, a zany German DJ and YouTube personality. When Helbig realized she needed a theme song for her show, she got in a car with Borg, who composed a techno song on the spot.

The car scene mixed up the dynamic of the show, which was interesting. However, the theme song Borg created, and Borg himself, was a little wacky. He’s definitely an acquired taste.

To her credit, Helbig tried her best to keep the viewers involved and invested. With close-up camera shots on Helbig in between segments and the comedian’s informal way of addressing the audience, viewers can feel like they are on the set with Helbig.

Helbig also includes viewer input in the show.

During her interview with Tyler, Helbig incorporated a word that fans had previously voted for her to say.

In addition, at the end, Helbig showed a few videos of fans telling her how she should close the show.

Another element that brought something noteworthy to the show was the graphics and animation. For each guest on the show, a sort of cartoon ID card pops up around the person’s face describing who the person is and what the person is known for.

Though it’s not one of the funniest talk shows on television, “The Grace Helbig Show” promises to be lively and unpredictable.

But for now, it might only be entertaining for her current fans.