Spring-shaped French toast

This cookie-cutter French toast recipe is ideal for those looking for a dish to make for Easter brunch. Perfect for those going home and cooking with young siblings, this recipe can be made to suit a variety of tastes depending on what toppings are used.

Also, this recipe can also be made simple for an everyday breakfast. Instead of cutting out shapes, all that has to be done is use whole slices of bread.

Any leftover scraps of bread can be re-purposed in bread pudding or used as bread crumbs.

Ingredients

• 10 pieces sliced bread, cut into shapes or left whole
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tbs honey
  • dash cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbs butter for cooking

Step 1: Take your bread and let the cut-outs sit out, uncovered, to dry for an hour or two. This will allow the bread to absorb more of the egg wash later on.

Step 2: Mix the milk, eggs, honey, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir until there are no bits of egg whites left and the mix is homogeneous.

Step 3: Let the bread pieces soak in the egg wash for a couple seconds on each side. Pull them out of the wash and set them aside on another plate while you prep the rest.

Step 4: Heat the tablespoon of butter in a frying pan on high. When its bubbling, add the first two or three pieces of bread into the pan. Do not over fill the pan or the French toast will be hard to flip cleanly.

Step 5: Cook the bread for a couple minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Repeat for all the pieces of bread.

Step 6: Serve warm with your choice of toppings.