Social media experts relate skills to careers

(From left) Amy Bartner, digital engagement manager at the Indy Star, Zach Osterman, sports and IU Insider reporter for the Indy Star, and Jonathan Scott, the former digital chief for Indianapolis Monthly, discuss social media as a career at a panel in Ernie Pyle Hall on Monday. They discussed their biggest social media blunders, which included tweeting pictures of their cats from official publications' Twitter accounts.

A panel of social media experts presented Monday on how to turn skills within social media into a career.

The panel spoke in Ernie Pyle Hall Auditorium as part of J360: Social Media in the Newsroom.

The panel included Amy Bartner, digital engagement manager at The Indianapolis Star; Zach Osterman, BAJ ’09 and IU sports reporter for The Indianapolis Star; and Jonathan Scott, digital and social media communications manager at Eli Lilly & Co. and reporter for Tennis Magazine.

All panelists were asked a series of questions regarding the influence of social media, anecdotes of social media fails and triumphs, and tips for job searching in the social media world.

Panelists started to explain the influence social media had on their careers to start the discussion. Bartner recalled first using Facebook as a social platform when working at a young adult magazine and “friending” various venues and restaurants around the target ?demographic.

“Social media from its infancy has been a way to disperse and gather information,” Osterman said.

The social media sites that are considered a necessity for journalists are only Facebook and Twitter at the moment, the panel said. But this can also grow to LinkedIn when people extend into the business world. The secrets to social media success were then discussed to optimize the necessary platforms.

“You should be yourself, personable and positive,” Bartner said. “We as journalists should be more active.”

Scott identified showing off personality as the most important trait for a journalist to have on social media. Scott has personally received a job via social media and stressed the importance of accruing contacts and being social.

He discussed the importance of Twitter in strengthening writing skills. He believes it forces journalists to state the facts clearly for their audience.

“Be gracious and smart about what you are doing,” Scott said. “It’s not gone after you delete it.”

As one of the premises of Bartner’s perspective, social media was stressed as still being real life. Bartner encouraged others to start conversations rather than bashes.

“You are building relationships no matter where you are,” Bartner said. “Everything is an interview.”

Before Bartner even looks at a resume for a potential employee or intern, she immediately finds the candidate on every platform of social media.

The panel closed reminding the audience of the large community that defines social media. Keeping a vibrant social media presence and writing skills are most important, according to the panel.

“Whether it’s a news article or a press release or a tweet, it’s all important ?writing,” Scott said.