Representative Young speaks with College Republicans

Indiana Rep. Todd Young, R-9th District, visits the IU campus to speak with the College Republicans at Indiana University on Monday evening. Young spoke at the Kelley School of Business to a group of about 30 people regarding his work on government committees. His remarks included discussion of Iran, employment, and taxes.

Indiana Rep. Todd Young, R-9th District, came to speak to College Republicans at their weekly meeting last night.

Young speaks with College Republicans about once every semester for an update of what is happening in Washington, ways to get involved in Monroe County and other Bloomington involvement opportunities.

This coming May is the Bloomington City Council and mayoral race’s primary elections, and involvement is encouraged for those campaigns as well.

Young has stayed in office since his congressional win in 2010 against incumbent Democrat Baron Hill. There are now rumors regarding his move up to higher governmental positions, as a Senate seat opens up in Indiana next year.

“We are trying to help out in 2015, but are looking forward to assisting with 2016 as well,” said Jonathan Kreilein, IU junior and president of College Republicans.

Similar to other meetings of the College Republicans, the discussion was commenced after everyone had risen and recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

Kreilein then went over the agenda for the day, which consisted of the upcoming debate with College Democrats on April 15, the good showing at Lincoln Day and the upcoming 2015 Monroe County elections.

Following the agenda, Young took the center of the room and addressed the audience of about 40 students, both from IU and from Bloomington High School South, regarding his current agenda in Washington.

The conversation started with the issue of foreign relations, particularly with Iran and the issue of weapons of mass destruction. Young said he wished there was more dialogue between the administration and Congress on the issue but believes everyone is working together in a bipartisan way.

“The world is a dangerous place,” Young said. “We can eliminate Iran’s capacity for weapons of mass destruction all together.”

The discussion then transitioned into the topic of jobs and the economy. Young said he sees this ?issue as the most important to his constituents, so he tends to put much focus on job prospects for both young and full-fledged adults alike.

Young said he believes if the regulatory code is simplified in some way and the tax code is reformed in a similar manner, it would be a more sufficient use of spending money.

This then transitions into the idea of a free trade agreement that Young happens to focus on as a member of the ways and means committee in the House of Representatives.

“We need to sell into the developing markets throughout the world,” Young said.

Young concluded his discussion by saying his real message of the day was to get young people involved.

“It wasn’t a Republican that won, it was a team of Republicans that won,” Young said. “The opportunity cost of failing to make change in government is mostly born by young ?people.”

The floor was then open to questions for the ?representative.

Question topics included poverty bills, future legislation and struggles of being in the campaigning world.

The meeting concluded with a large push for young people involvement in not only federal elections but in local elections as well. Young voiced that the time he has served in his office is due to the work of city council members.

“It’s very hard to sprint from a stop, you should at least be jogging,” Young said.

College Republicans has weekly meetings to discuss local policy issues and implications of large ?federal issues, as well.