Pence announces Indiana's new adjutant general?

Gov. Mike Pence is interviewed by television stations at the Republican Election Night watch party in downtown Indianapolis.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence announced Thursday that Brigadier General Courtney P. Carr will become Indiana’s next adjutant general starting May 31.

The state adjutant general is the leader of each state’s military forces, including the National Guard.

“With more than three decades of devoted military service, Brigadier General Courtney P. Carr’s background and expertise make him an unmatched choice for Indiana’s adjutant general,” Pence said in a press release Thursday. “I am confident this leadership and vision will serve well the more than 14,000 men and women who make up the Indiana National Guard.”

Carr graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1983 and was commissioned as a regular army officer.

He served in the Indiana Guard from 1991 until 2011, during which time he commanded a Guard deployment to Bosnia in 2002 and later another deployment of about 4,500 Hoosier Guard members to Iraq.

Currently he fills a position in the Pentagon as the Army’s deputy director of operations, readiness and mobilization.

U.S. Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., voiced his support for Carr and applauded his accomplishments and career success.

“I congratulate Brigadier General Courtney Carr on his appointment to this critical role, and I thank him for his decades of military service, from his time at West Point to his Indiana National Guard service to his work in the Pentagon,” Donnelly said in a press release Thursday. “Indiana has a long and proud tradition of serving our country, and I look forward to working with Brig. Gen. Carr in the years to come on issues important to the Indiana National Guard, especially ensuring that our brave men and women have the training and support they need.”