In Bryan Park, a couple hula hoop

Clara Kallner does a hula hoop routine on Wednesday evening in Bryan Park.

In Bryan Park, where kites sat abandoned in treetops and little league games were in full swing, a group of dancers and visual artists practiced in the grass Wednesday evening.

Most were dressed in yoga pants and Converse shoes.

They are the Hudsucker Posse, and their group has been around for six years. Hula-hooper Clara Kallner said while there are members of the group who have been faithful from the start, new people are always welcome.

“We want people to try it,” Kallner said. “We usually have about 10 or 20 people, but it’s a transient group.”

On Wednesday, there were seven people present. Some tossed neon-colored hoops over their heads, others manipulated the hoop to swing around their torsos while standing still, and some practiced staffing — a series of movements similar to hooping, but with a long staff.

Jain Waldrip was one of the staffers. When she moved, the staff glided lightly off her arms and around her shoulders and back into her hands. Waldrip said she has been with the group for about two years.

“It’s not for everyone,” Waldrip said. “We do have some fire staffers in the group.”

Waldrip set the staff down and pulled off what she had been using to cover the wicks: drink koozies. Waldrip explained that someone performing with fire would light both ends and dance.

Waldrip wasn’t the only member performing with something other than a hoop. Corey Hollinger swung two yellow spheres that were tethered to cords. Hollinger said he was practicing Poi, a performance art native to an indigenous tribe in New Zealand.

“It’s all about math,” Hollinger said. “It’s parametric math in every move.”

Hollinger demonstrated several positions where the body aligned geometrically with the weights. He said his girlfriend was one of the hoopers and had encouraged him to join the group.

“(She) was like, you should come and find something you like,” Hollinger said. “I picked these up and really enjoyed it.”

Hollinger said people don’t expect to hear that Poi is about math.

“Isn’t that lame?” Hollinger said.

A few hoops away, Sarah Pate remembered how long she had been with the group. One year this month, she said.

“Happy Hoopversary!” Kallner said.

Most of the members practiced individually that evening, talking with others but ultimately working by themselves. An orange stereo sat next to a tree and provided both a rhythm and an ambiance for the group. Eventally, Hollinger put down his weights and took up two hula-hoops. Another member switched to a different-sized hoop.

Kallner said that although the group is a recreational group, they have performed in various places around Bloomington.

“There usually is some sort of choreographing to the performance,” Kallner said. She said the group had been invited to Templeton Elementary School and Lotus Festival. And, on National Pirate Day, the group was invited to the Player’s Pub.

The Hudsucker Posse meets at 6 p.m. every Wednesday in Bryan Park, weather permitting.