How a curved penis affects intimacy

Kinsey Confidential is a service of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction. For more good sex information, podcasts or to submit a ?question, visit us online at ?kinseyconfidential.org.

My penis is slightly curved down. Will this affect intimacy to some degree? How so?

If your penis is only slightly curved down when erect, rest assured that you are in good company with many millions of other men. Few men have perfectly straight erections. It’s common for men’s erections to curve a little upward, downward or to the left or right. Men’s penises also vary in terms of the direction they point when erect. With older age, men often experience a lower and lower point with time.

Having a slight curve to your penis is unlikely to affect sexual intimacy or the kinds of sex you have. Some men even use a slight curve to their advantage and may, for example, try to use the curve to stimulate a woman’s G-spot, an area along the front wall of the vagina.

Of course, a more moderate or extreme curve can change the kinds of sex one has or the types of positions that a man and his partner can engage in for intercourse. If a man has acquired a curve to his penis through time and if it interferes with sexual activity, he might have a condition called Peyronie’s Disease, which is often ?treatable.

If you have a concern about the curve of your penis, you might mention it to a doctor or nurse. Urologists in particular are doctors who specialize in issues related to men’s sexual health and ?the penis.

Debby Herbenick, Ph.D., MPH is an associate professor at IU and a research fellow and sexual health educator at the Kinsey Institute. She’s the author of six books about sex; her newest is “The Coregasm Workout.” Follow Kinsey Confidential on Twitter ?@KinseyCon and visit us online at ?www.KinseyConfidential.org.